Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next

RockyDog

Berserker

I've been able to win as green vs blue, and as blue vs green. i can stalemate yellow as red and put just enough pressure on white to make them cave. I can most of the time beat red as yellow given enough time. What I cannot yet do is make white hold long enough unless purple or red are much lower in game skill than I am.

the problem is that white has just barely more income than purple (who has no other natural adversary), but white has to support two fronts. red on the other hand has more income than either white or yellow alone. just enough more to spawn a defensive front and hold out a very long time. especially with yellow's limited invasion routes.

Stirling always said that yellow can take whites eastern front bases and absolve white of the second front. however its not trivial to make that work without ceding a bit to red. AND thats a singular specific strategy that must be followed. If you dont, white is back to being overwhelmed.

to be fair, i've been beaten down as purple by Jeye as white. But I might also claim that it was as if I was playing Stirling. I make mistakes, he didn't make any.

My claim of allies bias is that given 6 relatively equal players, none of which are top 10 players (i.e. the massive majority of us) the Allies are going to have the edge.

CaptainCupCake

Tank

Hal2000 wrote:
Shulgin wrote:
RockyDog wrote:its dead. and 4.08 is biased to the allies imo.

why is it dead? i thought our current game is part of the tournament
i would also disagree that this version is biased. white is without doubt most difficult to play. however, in our current game for example, my prediction is that you'll die first but your team will prevail

I'm still up for finishing the tournament, but I know that Jeye is gone until Feb at least (per his posts in other games). If the other bracket is interested in playing us, post your team members and we will send out the invite.

McMonster wrote:agreed. it is allies biased. but isn't it the blue hovers that are making the most difference?

I am quite curious about this. have played 3 games on 4.08 as white (i like a challenge), won 1, lost 2. everytime it seemed to me that blue and purple could/did overpowered us in the west, mostly due to the pressure blue was able to exert on green and white...

The map is biased towards the allies. White can be overrun by a combined purple/blue/red assault very early if done correctly. Even if Blue focuses on green and red applies some pressure to white but focuses on yellow, purple should still be able to at first take the Northern island from white and then assault white with a combined fleet/land force. If blue builds up a fleet and plays defensively against green and red builds an artillery line with supporting units, they should be able to hold out long enough for purple to beat white.

In two of the three games where we won as WGY, it was because blue folded faster than purple could kill white. If blue had held their ground for 10 more turns, white would have died. The last game ended because both blue and red fell faster than white.

The white position needs a bit of a starting boost (another base or couple more inf) to allow white to secure their West and East front and capture the Northern island. White has to be able to prevent purple from using an early Hovercraft (HC) rush on the northern island and white has to be able to soak up the damage from a combined purple/blue land assault in the West and a similar assault from red on the east. White shouldn't be able to take anyone down, but they also shouldn't be doomed to death every game.

Stirlings played this map in all positions and even he ended up with WGY losing to BPR. He managed to establish strong defensive lines and capture all the bases each color should take, but every turn white was taking a beating from purple which ultimately lead to white dying.

This all makes sense to me. And like RD says, all things being equal (we were well beaten and well outplayed by a phenomenally good Jeye and team) it seems a little tight as white. I'd like to see white given a little boost too...

Anyway, I'm still up for continuing the tournament with whoever else is willing. Team 3 still seems intact. Think february (for Jeye) isn't that distant given we started in summer and some matches have taken months to even start, let alone play

RockyDog

Berserker

team 3 (axis) wins vs team 1 (allies) game

question is, is anyone else still playing?

Warmaker

Berserker

I blame me for letting this go by the wayside. There was a strong first round of play, then everyone slowed a bit, and I didn't keep the pressure up to turn in scores. Things kept getting updated, then it got out of control.

I think we try again with fewer teams, say 4. I got too fancy with Wee and War Conferences.

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next