Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next

Darkbee

Berserker

People from Australia are so rude. No decorum whatsoever.
(Gotta love those sweeping generalizations)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/11/2008 14:43:26

VTTruck

Berserker

Delusions of grandeur. Only the most elitist amongst us have the right to refer to ourselves as we. He clearly doesn't fall under such a category, let alone when that not only encompasses an entire nation, but an entire continent.

Uh, Lucian - aren't you the one with the elitistbastards website? strange there's a player on
the site with a name like that too.... wonder who's secret account it could be?

Lucian

Berserker

Yeah, but we are a self admitted elitist prick. Everybody bloody knows that... and we always refer to ourselves as we!

Po

Berserker

We are not amused.

troymadsen

Tank

Po wrote:
Po wrote:
Streen wrote:
Ecko wrote:Since when did Americans think they can control everything? Enlighten me.

pretty much exactly since after the second world war, after which the whole world was in shattered peaces and the US were the only ones that actually earned money on it, and as such the US had nobody that could oppose them in any way, both military and economically. Your president at the time declared that The US is not the strongest nation on the planet and that this status must be uphold at all cost.
Most Americans still don't wanna face that fact that this status isn't true anymore since decades....

This is a fucking stupid generalization, and it disappoints me. I'm so tired of people saying that "Americans" are this or "Americans" are that. Believe it or not, these days, we're not represented by our elected officials like we used to be. In fact, in many cases, we end up voting for the person that we dislike the least because we're not super fond of either of them. But lumping us into some huge "Americans" category just shows ignorance, not intelligence.

I have nothing to do with the everyday decisions that my government makes, believe it or not. It's not like officials like Bush say "I'm going to invade Iraq, so vote for me." We vote for who we hope will do the best job, and then it's basically out of our hands. Unless the president does something like rape a child, it's not like we have much power over him.

And it's not even "Most Americans," as you said. I think it's hilarious that the world judges us for things like invading Iraq when a MAJORITY of people who live here disagree with it and want our troops home. We are also well aware of the fact that we're not even close to being the only superpower in the world anymore...We might not even be number one.

Let me enlighten you, I have spoken to many people coming from nations all around Europe and the world, so believe me when I tell you that people dont start to hate you, but they really DO hate you. Nobody loves America these days and everybody is scared about what some lunatics in charge over there might do, there is no respect whatsoever. And all this is really funny cause after 911 you had the compassion of the whole world, everyone was on your side, and in just a few years you guys managed to piss EVERYONE off. Here in Europe, we were just hoping to live and see the day of the next re-election and hope that it would come before the next world war...

Now that you got a new president, most people might give it another try though. This was the best thing that could have happened to your nation. No matter how much Obama screws up, he will probably never be as bad as your current one.

anyway,I am just being honest, try to give you a european perspective

If this is the European perspective, then Europeans are fucking stupid. I understand that it's human nature to focus on the negative and judge everyone and lump people together, but it'd be wonderful if people used some discretion and realized that America isn't some Zerg hive mind or something.

You talk and act like you understand us Americans so well. How? You're not American. Do you live here? Are you inundated by the culture every day? No. You live thousands of miles away and know what they feed you from the news and other television. In other words, you don't know shit. By lumping the majority of us together into this idiotic opinion you post, you reveal your own ignorance. I'd probably put a stop to that if I were you.

I'm sorry that this sounds harsh, and you're usually okay, Streen...I'm fucking tired of hearing absolutely retarded opinions spouted from morons overseas because it's easier to hate then use your brain. Get off the bandwagon and use some discretionary thinking.

I know this was posted a few days ago, but I haven't been on in a while and I just have to say that I totally agree with what Po said. I too am tired of the massive generalization that people put on "Americans". It is nearly impossible to generalize a country that has so large of a population and with such a diverse background of people. And +1 also to the fact that we "normal" people don't really get to have a say in much of anything that our government does on a day to day basis. Well said Po.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/11/2008 23:49:11

Po

Berserker

I know it sounds like a shitty excuse or something, but we somehow got to a point where we're forced to choose a candidate that's shoved down our throats. In many cases, we choose the lesser evil. I'm not a huge Bush fan, for example, but I think Al Gore is...Well...I think he'd be one of the worst presidents of all time. Back in '04, it was like choosing to cut off your right hand or one of your feet or something. Sigh.

The president is supposed to be derived "of the people." He's one of us, and understands us, and makes decisions based on that...In theory. In truth, we got away from that a long time ago. Presidents are generally good old boys, or rich, or from walks of life that MAYBE 1 percent of our country gets to experience. Even Obama, supposed champion of change, has had a fuckton of advantages that the average person will never see. If you look at old presidents, like Washington or something, they were farmers and military men. In fact, most of our early presidents were inventors or diplomats or people that worked the earth. These days, our presidents probably haven't done a days hard labor in their lives.

But what do we do about it? A blood coup? People versus the military in the streets? I'm not happy about the situation, but it's not so atrocious that the country should bleed for it. Yet.

VTTruck

Berserker

I know it sounds like a shitty excuse or something, but we somehow got to a point where we're forced to choose a candidate that's shoved down our throats. In many cases, we choose the lesser evil. I'm not a huge Bush fan, for example, but I think Al Gore is...Well...I think he'd be one of the worst presidents of all time. Back in '04, it was like choosing to cut off your right hand or one of your feet or something. Sigh.

because those that are qualified and smart enough for the job aren't dumb enough to want to run.

we'll be choosing the lesser of two evils for a while to come. I'd settle for seeing a candidate talk
about how good he is INSTEAD of primarily about how bad the other guy is.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/11/2008 01:32:53

Darkbee

Berserker

I'd settle for a "yaw Momma's so fat..." slanging match, at least that would be more interesting.

VTTruck

Berserker

I've said to my wife a number of times that I'd almost be willing to vote
for ANY (serious) candidate that didn't use a single negative ad or stump line. One
who talked about themselves and their policies instead of the other party/person.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/11/2008 11:44:41

Lucian

Berserker

VT. You're living proof of an American who can truly think for himself. Hence defending Po and troy's points.

Unfortunately the entire world is plagued with a lack of 'leaders' and instead run by manipulative 'rulers'.

Darkbee

Berserker

But I wonder, did this start in politics? It seems like to me, and I'm nowhere near an authority on the subject, but advertising in general seems to always be pushing the boundaries. It used to be the case that companies would never refer to other brands by name, using phrases like "the leading brand". Now, it seems that it's perfectly acceptable not only to outright name the "leading brand" but insult them. Classic case in point, the Apple Mac ads; "Hello, I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC", where "PC" is clearly meant to represent Bill Gates and is made to look like a complete idiot in comparison to "Mac". Microsoft have hit back with some lame "I'm a PC" adverts but they are not nearly as funny. Interestingly, Microsoft choose NOT to name or attempt to shame Apple Mac, but it's only a matter of time before we have Celebrity DeathMatch for real.

Sorry, this post is a bit incoherent but it's early in the morning.

troymadsen

Tank

Yeah, the world in general is getting to be a more aggressive place. And as far as "leaders" and "rulers" go, the ones in power are not going to give it up once they have it and when forced to they are only wanting to give it up to those who are most like themselves. As an American I am grateful for the good things that are set up in this country that most people would file under some sort of government or public office; i.e. police and rescue departments, judicial laws, all of the freedoms that we posses, etc. But unfortunately along with that it seems that this "government machine" has been created and now that it is in place and has control there really is no way of stopping it and like Lucian said, "It's not time for a bloody coup, yet." At least I am not volunteering to take up arms. (unless they want to battle it out in WeeWar, in which case I would consider it)

Lucian

Berserker

@ Bee: Screw apple and hippy apple fanboys.

Po

Berserker

Psh...I'm American too, Luc.

VTTruck

Berserker

uh - lucian - windows is a pillaging of mac os. no hippy apple and no more windows improvements.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/11/2008 12:02:37

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next