Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

Poll results: What features/improvements are you waiting for the most?

Fog of war 24% [ 10 ]
Team play 62% [ 26 ]
New units 5% [ 2 ]
New gameplay elements 2% [ 1 ]
Better bots 2% [ 1 ]
Other features (elaborate) 5% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next

Darkbee

Berserker

spadequack wrote:A weak bot player taking over a player's spot is a good idea, imo, although perhaps it is better suited for games where a player abandons or is booted, instead of the case where a player surrenders. A weak bot is better than no one because they will still use the credits that are being generated and will slow down the effect on the game of losing a human player by making it harder for a nearby player to capture the free bases than the case when there is no one guarding those bases.

But how weak is weak enough, or how strong is strong enough? What's weak for one player could be a fairly stiff challenge for another. Should said bots be able to attack? Or do they simply spam units and get in the way?

I'm all for trying to redress imbalances in games caused by unforeseen circumstances but I don't think it's a simple as putting a weak bot in the place of a player.

There's probably other things you could do to deal with the neighbor capturing bases issue. For one you could freeze those bases out of the game permanently so that nobody could capture them. An extreme solution for sure, but still an option none-the-less. Alternatively, you could lock the bases for a fixed number of turns, so that they couldn't be captured until after x number of turns has passed. In this instance you'd probably want the number of turns to be dependent (at least in part) on the size of the map and number of players.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/10/2008 16:53:41

VTTruck

Berserker

one of the options discussed a while back was to allow other players to surrender on their
very next turn with no penalty. this could easily be abused as well, and never got a full
quorum to propose it. bottom line - dropping players sucks for someone else in the game.
happens at all levels. just peace out and move on to another match.

troymadsen

Tank

VT, maybe you should start a new thread discussing that very option. See what people's reaction is to it. Apparently this topic interests quite a few people.

Lucian

Berserker

troymadsen wrote:Apparently this topic interests quite a few people.

No it doesn't.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/10/2008 22:32:41

troymadsen

Tank

Maybe it does, but just not you. Guess we'll find out.

VTTruck

Berserker

Go right ahead and start the other thread. I think in the end it devolved into
"dont invite players who quit early, or boot, or suck".

seems the end path of many discussions.

VTTruck

Berserker

additional thought on FoW - how about a turn limit? FoW is in place for the first N turns
of a game. Keeps your opponent from seeing your initial moves, but then dissipates after
that last round.

Shulgin

Tank

moin,

the number one on my list of features i would like to see implemented is team play as well. if there is going to be only one new thing it should be team play. in it's most basic form i think this means having (copied from darkbee)

• No ZoC for team members

• Readjustment of distribution of points for rated games to reflect the nature of team games

• i would also very much appreciate an improve messaging system which allows for PMs and team only chats in multiplayer games.
    number three on my list is an optional fog of war. i don't think this game needs any new units in general, but in case fow is implemented a light radar vehicle or something like that would be nice.

lastly, i feel compelled to slightly criticise the developers. you have done an amazing job creating this awesome game, many thanks for that. however, it would be great if you could give more information to the community. what is happening behind the curtain, is something new being developed or not? i mean if you have more important projects at the moment or don't intend to implement new stuff at all, well that's fair enough. but i believe it would be better to share these thoughts...

VTTruck

Berserker

@Shulgin - see, there's the language barrier going again. You say you want to slightly criticize
    the devs for not posting more. Yet, you could have asked directly via the feedback tool,
    waited for no response and then had something to complain about. They do respond to the
    forums, typically when someone has a fix that is needed to play. They also have
    responded to cranky individuals demanding information regarding unscheduled outages,
    and done so in a pleasant manner.

Suggest you ask before you criticize, lest lucian and i start griping about griping.

Shulgin

Tank

i don't think that a language barrier is the problem here. however, i've learnt two new words through your post vttruck, thanks for that

so much for the opening credits. i can't understand why you guy here have such issues with criticism towards the devs. i think criticism is a good thing as long as it is polite and sane. my aim is not to tell anybody off but to suggest what could be improved in my humble opinion. i have seen that they are quickly responding for game fixes and i think the handling of outages is good as well. but i don't think that the feedback tool is the way to go here as general developments are not a personal matter. i would be happy to see something like this:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu

(yes i know they are only two people; obviously on a much much smaller scale). admittedly i never tried to ask the devs about their plans. did anybody else? this thread shows that i'm not the only one who is keen to know...

i hope we can leave it at that, because i don't wanna end up in one of these endless forum discussions that usually lead nowhere. the question was what features you are waiting for and i would like to see team play. thanks for listening...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/11/2008 00:42:05

VTTruck

Berserker

however, i've learnt two new words

Now I'm dying to know, which two? I'm also going to guess you learned English
    south of the Mason-Dixon line.

my aim is not to tell anybody off but to suggest what could be improved in my humble opinion.

Thats exactly my point. Make a humble suggestion, don't criticize.

I will defend the devs relentlessly since they've put up a great game site, with cheap
    enrollment costs and kept it online nearly 7/24/365. There are rarely any outages that
    aren't scheduled. This site runs very well, and the devs deserve more open credits and
    positive feedback.

Shulgin

Tank

VTTruck wrote:
    however, i've learnt two new words

Now I'm dying to know, which two? I'm also going to guess you learned English
    south of the Mason-Dixon line.

no, i actually learnt english north of this line; germany or england whatever suits you better. but i think i don't really get your mason-dixon reference...
    the words were "lest" and "gripe".

tschüssikowski

VTTruck

Berserker

no, i actually learnt english north of this line; germany or england whatever suits you better.

anywhere suits me fine. i'm a non-typical american - no xenophobia here.

but i think i don't really get your mason-dixon reference...
    the words were "lest" and "gripe".

So first - learnt is a Southern (USA) dialect form of learned.
    Second - the Mason-Dixon line is a geographical line between the Maryland-Pennsylvania
    border that demarked the North and South during our civil war.
    Third - come on, those two? really?

tschüssikowski

got me there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2008 03:12:14

Lucian

Berserker

Tschüss is a rather informal bye or more like "see you later" in several Germanic languages, as for the other part, I presume it's just slang like when you say "laters" in English.

In any case, Shulgin, we are very protective of our devs here as well as the more common members. Regarding your criticism statement, nobody likes a critic. That's an extreme generalization but I hope you catch my drift with that one. It is better to suggest than to criticize wherever possible, even if you have constructive criticism. All you need do is drop a feedback line asking if they could possibly add whatever it is you like them to add or make a thread in the suggestions forum asking for that same thing. Sooner or later they will check your post and get back to you.

VTTruck

Berserker

Dammit, Lucian - we're agreeing again. We promised not to do that in public. At least this
    time its for a good cause.

Now firesale the BBs and leave destroyers alone! maybe make subs attackable in harbors.

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next