Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

Darkbee

Berserker

Who is responsible for, or which users manage?
http://weewar.wikispaces.com
http://weewarwiki.com

It looks like WeewarWiki.com is using TikiWiki, is that correct?

I'd be very interested to talk to you, as I'm currently putting together a community site myself. I didn't even know WeewarWiki.com existed until I happened across it on a link in the Weewar Blog. The link on the main Weewar site links to the Wikispaces site.

Shulgin

Tank

no idea who is responsible, but why are there two wikis anyway? the content seems to be almost identical...

out of curiousity, what do you have in mind for your community site darkbee?

Darkbee

Berserker

First of all, I make no promises and I certainly don't want to steal the thunder from others who've already put in their hard work. However, it would be nice to avoid these types of duplication and have a resource that is used by many, rather than a dedicated few.

I'm currently testing my site now, with the help of a select few, but the primary goals are:
1. To have a mechanism for players to submit reports of unsportsman like conduct which will then be validated by admins/moderators (more than one person!) and players will be added to an active "Grey List"
2. To have a mechanism to submit nominations for players to be listed in a Hall of Fame (which again are validated by an as yet, undetermined mechanism, but result in the player either being accepted or not)
3. To allow players to communicate with each other either as groups or individually using different mediums such as site messaging, shoutbox, chat, forums etc.

More long term goals would be to:
1. Have definitive documentation/resources for beginners and veterans alike in one location! (As you've said, looks like there is some good documentation out there, but it's duplicated). Along these lines I've already recreated Po's excellent Beginner's Guide with new screenshots.
2. Create a true community portal to supplement the workings of the Weewar.com site.
3. Maybe recreate the WWPA, allowing it's member to be more active in maintaining the group (rather than the burden fall on any one individual).

It seems that one of the main reasons why third-party Weewar resources come and go is because they are maintained by one, maybe two people, and this will surely eventually lead to burn-out, or lack of time/money etc. My feeling is, if a website can be contributed to by many, many people then the chances of it staying active are much greater.

I have to admit that my main motivation stems from the fact that Pistos no longer seems to be around the Weewar scene and he was essentially the heart and soul of the WWPA and the Grey List. Without him, those things are dead, but I think they are things that serve the Weewar community well and would like to see them continue in some form or other.

Of course, not wishing to be skeptical but if Weewar.com crumbles and falls into the sea next week then this is all moot.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2009 18:35:33

Tygerdave

Heavy Tank

I think Alex did a lot of the initial wiki work and various other people have made changes according to the history. Spadequack being the most recent except it seems several spammers have been warring over the links. I'm going to do some rollbacks but I don't know how long that will last

troymadsen

Tank

I think it is a great idea, DB. It would be nice if once everything gets put in place (and if the devs like it) that there would be a link on the bottom of the weewar pages and maybe some kind of advertising to get people to know about and use the site. Keep up the good work!