Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 next

Casaubon

Tank

After having just read the latest blog post by Ethan and the chance to testplay the early build with Alex yesterday, I do not think reducing attack strength for artillery - while giving it a longer attack range - would make the unit less valuable.

A player who likes to dig in and protect the artie with some close combat unit would just wait another turn for buying another artillery (assuming that they togheter deal the same damage as one with the current stats)... with the 2 arties shooting even further. The cost in APs isn´t big for attacking so I guess having 2 arties that fire weaker but further doesn´t have any big disadvantage compared to one overpowered arty now, except that you need one additional turn to build 2. The tactical handling would be the same as long there is no other stone paper scissors principle to counteract this strategy (air raids, spam attack the artie with cheap stuff etc. or as mentioned in your blog the sniper shooting back at arties from a greater distance).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/07/2013 08:45:21

alex

Raider

Awesome. This is why we play! I can't wait to get more people in proper so we can get more of this kind of feedback and start iterating in ernest! Very soon!

Here are a few videos of smaller UI tweaks and features in the playable: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLXJQ4obAI9odwqmKIYR_mdfSgbDUQ6WB

Some of them are very much work in progress...

McMonster

Tank

Pretty exciting! Great that you are back and putting something together Alex.

Not sure if I have developed the self-discipline to productively participate, but I just spent a couple of hours reading all the has been written here and on the Quarter Spiral site and it's very impressive.

Viel Gluck!

alex

Raider

[Post removed] - We meant to run a test but we'll have to try again. Found a show stopping bug just now. We'll keep you posted.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/07/2013 15:38:30

Garry

Raider

BUT I WANT TO PLAY IN THE TEST!! AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!!!

/pout

ok, ok. Fix the bugs. But know that we are being overwhelmed with the frustration!!

alex

Raider

Let's try again! Limited pre-alpha test: Please read the important notes below or you will be disappointed! We only announce this here for now and look forward to your feedback on this pre alpha version of Enhanced Wars.

We will eventually take it down (probably by the end of the week but potentially earlier)!

Limited pre-alpha test: https://game.quarterspiral.com/v1/games/884b9b00-bbe3-0130-459c-5ebde7b30ff1/embedded#

Please give your feedback here:
https://forum.quarterspiral.com
http://feedback.quarterspiral.com

Important notes:

* Feel free to tell your friends but do not post the url or game publicly since it will go away
* Known Bugs:
- Some events and special effects are not working proper so you might occasionally see an overlay that is not true
- If you lose you might not get any indication (other than the points). The winner gets a big "You Won"
- The Action Points UI might not update but Actions Points are tracked!
- We have seen isolated issues with scoring - help us track them down!
- There will be more bugs. Please report them!
* Things might break so badly that we'll have to take it down early
* There has not been any balancing yet. Yeah….
* You can not remove finished games for now
* You require a FB login (scroll down if you can not see the link) but will eventually be able to switch to user name password
* You can only create private games with FB friends right now however public games are free for all
* In private games you can use custom maps which you can create here: http://kohlhofer.com/mapEdit/
* You EW account is actually a QS ID and will also work here: https://forum.quarterspiral.com

Tygerdave

Heavy Tank

Looks good!

Since you in active development I want list 'wants', but issues that I saw in the 3 minutes I played:

(PC - Firefox 22.0)

- Global chat doesn't scroll all the way to the bottom at page load, just most of the way
- I joined a game and played my turn then started a game - since starting a game I can't see the game I joined in my 'Your Games' list
- Game Progress Bar partially covers up the troop pictures

MapMaker

Raider

With new development there are always a lot of things running around in the makers mind. Fix bug, new feature, pretty, more pretty, advertising etc etc. Money puts food on the table. I'll add a summary later.

- video interview link - excellent overall. it shows the game, it says who you are, it says why it exists, it gives experience background of the devs. overall it looks more like an "I can program, call me with job info" kind of calling card than it does an advertisement for a new game or as a lure for more feedback.

suggested improvements to the video:
- Insert static 'slide' like material and information in the vast white space. Put in the devs names. The interviewer's name. Any and all companies involved that can be put up such as the affiliations that the interview has. Think search engine optimization. Scrolling the text of the conversation is an idea but not needed, it would be better to put up 'notes' or bullet points at key points in the interview and leave the notes standing for a time, then put up new notes as the interview progresses.

- The video can be made to help sell yourselves to have more chance of putting food on the table. Any information that pertains to the ability to manage a project efficiently can be placed on notes at that time in the interview. Paint a target then hit it. Paint a target then hit it. You have something, so at some point in the past you painted a target and you have indeed hit it. So it doesn't have to be all future targets. People who would hire you might like the attention to detail. (Don't give out information that you really need to keep to yourselves, obviously)

- There aren't any talking heads in the video. It can be re-used with or without sound for other purposes.

- Legos!!!! Ever seen a stop action video? Legos move around and fight? A funny, clever, gets more press kind of video of the battle complete with cartoon like sounds would be a bigger draw for the game. It also wouldn't hurt if people said wow these devs are funny and probably hilarious to work with so long as they get their jobs done... I'd like to work with them. Where is their contact information? Oh I don't see it on the screen... I'm sure I can find them somewhere.

- There videos of people through out a trip or have a photo taken every day for 20 years or blah blah whatever. This video can be the first of several that document the production and progression of the new game. The videos can be spliced with new material as well when it is done and voila a short video series that shows the game development from beginning to end.

- A short video series of the game development has multiple purposes. advertising the game. advertising yourselves. documenting the mistakes and nuances of programming this sort of thing. training material for others (which can be sold). training material for the future. In the future it can be used as reminders of past projects (anniversaries, memoirs, how bad was that old project?, how good was that old project, how the heck did we solve that one issue)

- Like I said, well done.

The game:
- Don't worry at all about game balance of any kind. Anything you do will be reasonable enough. And any imbalance related to units or maps are really easy to fix and you don't have to worry about upsetting the community because they will want you to fix it. But don't break it on purposes
- What is the primary purpose of the game? It should be to create a devout following that can be used in relation to social media boosts for yourselves. This boils back to initial recruitment, retention, and fanaticism. Fanaticism only helps if it helps drive recruitment or retention. When I come back to weewar I see an increase in other people that also come back soon after. ie I help more with retention that recruitment. What about others? What gets them to bring new people and keep others coming back? What does the game do to get that to happen?
- Units. They go bang bang and boom boom. The first vision of weewar did that. So did all subsequent tuning of the set of units. The important thing is that there are multiple rocks for each scissor, multiple scissors for each paper, and multiple papers for each rock. Only one thing kills a sub really well so it fails on this point. Lots of things can kill destroyers but nothing but a vast horde of speedboats can compete against the economy and flexibility of the destroyer, so it also fails on that point although in a different economic sense. http://weewar.com/map/38279 this is one of the few maps where building destroyers is not a no brainer good thing to do. http://weewar.com/map/47956 is another where building destroyers or too many of them can lead to them having to sit out the primary battle because the water is shaped to limit that tactic. Have enough rocks for each scissor in the new game. Have at least 2 units that can be the rocks for each unit that is the scissors and that means having 2 different modes such as artillery and aircraft dominance against the one unit (2 types of rock for each scissor). This doesn't mean a heavy tank and a zerk as the 2 rocks.
- Stirling's Aruba is relatively well balanced because it allows for a moderate level of flexibility for style of play from GDs in your face attacks, to some of the more flamboyant, newboohooish, or defense minded styles. Original Aruba + consideration of unit capabilities and costs + consideration of future changes to unit capabilities and costs + consideration of the various sets of opening moves = better balanced map. So if there are 2 rock units for every scissors unit etc etc then the entire unit set is more likely to be balanced overall even if individual units are marbles and conkers (fubar). ie so long as there are enough counters to everything, not single counters for things, then you can break a lot of units and it will still be playable and overall at least decently balanced.
- Play style. Be as open as possible when it comes to how people play. I use the Europe maps to describe how russia is infantry based and being defense minded helps, germany needs everything to do well all types of units and including both a defensive and offensive mindset, UK is mostly ship based and is always ready for the offense but can be pushed into defense, etc etc. This fits into the units recommendation. The more counter units there are for the other units, the more likely people will find something they like about the game or love about the game.
- Action Points. nice idea. I have some maps that are meant to handicap a player by say 100 rating points if the ratings were perfectly accurate. They allow players of unequal skill to honestly play against each other and have an equal chance of winning. In Enhanced Wars, will it be possible to set the number of action points to be different for various positions or players or teams?
- Don't worry about some of the above. You guys are developing the game according to a plan as well as based on how things come up. All in good time eh
- Will there be a replay feature that shows the actions of only all turns since our last turn?
- In live (pre-alpha, alpha, beta) games can you put a list of your top priorities FOR PLAYERS to report bugs by giving the definitions of the bugs and things to watch out for? This can go in the white space of the game. They can be clickable links to report bug types. They can be clickable links that go to pages with the most recent changes which helps players know what was updated which helps players not report the same bugs. They can help players and devs root out some of the more difficult bugs as well as the unintended features. The pages of reported bugs and when it is likely to be fixed would also be useful (or when it was already fixed).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/07/2013 09:31:54

alex

Raider

That is one big post! Lots of good stuff. For now I just pick up on a few points:

There will be a replay last turn feature.

The video is actually IGN's - we are working on making our own.

The jury on Action Points is still out. Right now the thinking is to allow map makers to customize them with their maps.

For balancing and Rock Paper Scissors we are looking to lots of Community input and feedback

With more players actually experiencing the early version we are hoping for http://feedback.quarterspiral.com/forums/208101-enhanced-wars to turn into a viable resource to capture and prioritize input.

Play style / openness: Ideally we want to have a simple rule set that affords a lot of customization (e.g. different win conditions). The map interface accepting 3rd party maps is pointing in that direction and is probably here to stay.

Good times! Please also consider joining in here: https://forum.quarterspiral.com (your enhanced wars login will work)

walski

Trooper

Hey folks,

it's Thorben from the QS team. There have been rumors that not all of you are super big fans of Facebook

We understand that and got back to work to enable old school signups/logins again. As of today you can use all our stuff like Enhanced Wars(https://game.quarterspiral.com/v1/games/884b9b00-bbe3-0130-459c-5ebde7b30ff1/embedded) or our forum (https://forum.quarterspiral.com/) without the need to login with Facebook.

You can easily sign up here: https://id.quarterspiral.com/signup

If you already have an account using the Facebook login and want to change over to username/password just follow these steps:

• Go to: https://id.quarterspiral.com/

• Login using Facebook

• Then head to your profile: https://id.quarterspiral.com/profile

• Now set your desired name (currently clear name and nickname are the same) and password there

• From then on you can sign in with your username and password.

Alright, that's it for now. Thanks for checking out our stuff and talk to you soooooon!

Thorben

kersplat

Raider

Hey Thorben

Really excited to be able to get in and test things out. I created my QS account, but I'm not able to change the username. When I attempt to make the change to the profile, I get the message: "Warning! Could not save your profile." I'm just trying to change the username from the default when signing up, to my nick.

Any idea what is preventing that change?

Russ (aka kersplat)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/07/2013 18:19:58

alex

Raider

I have looked into and was able to verify the issue. We'll try to fix asap. Until then you can play like this if you like... Sorry about this!

walski

Trooper

Hey kersplat, I've just deployed a fix for this. We actually failed more on reporting than actually saving your profile. Here is what happened for you: As you have only logged in through Facebook till now we do not have a password for you on file. In order to save your profile we require you to set a password and an email address (we do not copy your email address over from Facebook). So if you provide both and confirm your password on the profile page you should be able to save it.

Sorry for the inconvenience. As a short term fix I've ramped up our error reporting so that it now clearly states what is going wrong and people are lead to a solution instead of stranding without any help.

Hope that works for you!

Cheers,

Thorben

kersplat

Raider

Nice! Thanks a lot. That did the trick - updated my profile with no problems when I put in a password.

Had my first game today with Alex; very cool. Definitely a bit of a mind shift, but I love the idea and the gameplay was really smooth. I really think you guys have a winner on your hands.

Question - what do the different circles mean that show up on the units? Also, is there a way to heal the units, or is that going to be part of the strategy you have to work with - finite life to units?

alex

Raider

The circles are a poor UI until we can do better. They simply indicate if a unit has moved or fired during the current turn. Makes it easier to parse the map.

Re healing: Right now we are thinking to introduce a special unit that will allow to retire damaged units for AP.

previous 1 2 3 4 next