Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next

Warmaker

Berserker

My bad.

NEW ZEALAND - *Needs link*

New Zealand is a smaller map pitting east vs. west on Northern and Southern Islands. Strategies can vary and the mountainous terrain and seemingly obvious blue advantage make this map difficult to play. After some experimentation, it is possible to win as both red and blue and the map is deceptively balanced. A single airfield to the far north and two close naval ports make non-ground units even more valuable. The map is small enough to make turns quick and games can be started and completed in short order. The beginning strategies are the path to victory and bad starts can end a game as soon as it begins. Expect infantry units to battle in the south and more combined arms in the north. I'll race you to the airfield!

This is an accurate map and enjoyable for its fast play, high starting credits, and low income. Every unit counts.

Warmaker

Berserker

Hawaii v.4 - http://www.weewar.com/map/50348?showBack=

This map is a highly accurate depiction of the Hawaiian island chain (USA). It is fairly balanced but blue and purple have the advantage of getting from Maui (Center map) to Big Island (Far Right Island) without much challenge. Red has a difficult time breaking out against either color and must find other ways to gain bases. The leeward (west) side of Big Island is wide open for play. Blue also has free reign to Ni'ihau (Far west) from Kauai while red and purple fight for control of the east.

This map is best unrated and offers small action on several different islands while creating a larger picture to control all of Hawaii. Who will dominate the island chain?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/04/2011 21:56:37

Garry

Raider

MAP: wee monsters down under -- http://weewar.com/map/45160

Interesting map but not balanced for 4 players. Purple is the natural 1st fight for everyone... closer and easier pickings... This might be better as a 3 player map, or adjust so purple has more area, little easier access to bases. Perhaps move the desert up 2 rows to slow red getting to 13,11... open the forest at 10,17 and start yellow farther north to build more conflict with red. Fun game, but run unrated since purple will just be a spoiler for the big three powers.

Warmaker

Berserker

Hawaii Map: I played this map 1v1. It is exquisite as a 2 player map. We went over 30 rounds until it was obvious I was being overpowered. The dynamic play and low resources mean ships and aircraft become highly valuable. Hawaii is an excellent 2 player map. Much better than the 3-player mode.

Wolfman

Heavy Trooper

Chile vs Argentina - http://weewar.com/map/31602

This map has a very delicate balance, but Chile (blue) has an advantage because its bases are closer and can be reached by using only troopers compared to the Argentinian side (red) that needs at least a hover and a few more rounds to conquer the Falklands/Malvinas Islands. Because of that, blue will be able to save more and this will make a difference later in the game.

This delicate balance is because each army can be rebuilt, more or less, at the same rate as it is being lost, so, in the end the winner may be the one who can keep more units alive and, by consequence, save more money.

Another thing are the mountains and the desert between the two areas, which make advance from both armies more complicated, except when using the passage in (7,7).

Wolfman

Heavy Trooper

Brasil Final - http://weewar.com/map/50727

This map is a reasonable representation of Brazil, but its rivers are too big and out of scale.

This is also unbalanced, because after a few rounds red, purple and green may be have three battle fronts, while blue, yellow and white will have two.

White's area is more protected than all others and this army may grow almost untouched, accumulating power for later.

Because of the rivers and the large sea coast, artillery, ships and planes will have a decisive role during the battle.

This map is very good example of how disadvantaged a player is when surrounded and how advantaged it is when start from outside and attack inwards.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/04/2011 23:51:28

ThulsaDoom

Heavy Trooper

Jersey Isle: http://weewar.com/map/54698

Posted notes to Wesseltown:

-seems like base 11,15 is one hex closer to the north airfield than all other bases, meaning a hover could begin capture in two turns whereas red is 9 hex from both closest bases
-it appears to have no easy replacement according to it's position, if goal was to keep 9 hex easiest route between both red and blue player.
-actually I take that back, no need to move blues 11,15 base just north airfield to hex 17,9: one hex east
-although I could play to cover the airfield w/ another piece it would be worthless sacrifice given available material already on the map
-something else is becoming obviously clear, the southern airfield is within striking distance of the harbor from a battleship
-plus any material blocking the west passage to southern airfield can be quickly neutralized and the airfield covered
-this may explain why there are two shipyards for blue on the south peninsula, if map maker was thinking southern airfield would be more desirable from their side they could easily defend with the output of the two shipyards
-the one shipyard for red on south coast seems inadequate, because there is really nothing else outside of one free space base and two blocked bases to work with
-I think this map may suffer from too much income, don't think a map needs to necessarily mirror itself to be balanced
-I do like the layout, that being said maps with certain advantage/disadvantage geography for both sides can be fun to figure out
-it just seems like w/ double shipyard south and a quicker captured airfield north don't present much for red
-if the income was reduced then maybe it would stem the tide of more advantaged pieces taking control of map
-w/o question though some bases need to be moved
-and if your going to set up so much space in the middle to travel, a few repair points may be advantageous so a retreat to not lose material doesn't translate into overall lost ground
-although if things were a shade more balanced that could be a interesting back and forth battle, given that it doesn't lead to stalemate

td

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 28/04/2011 13:03:52

johnmd20

Raider

Semanoesis' 100 Years' War http://weewar.com/map/25766

I have now played this map 4 times and it's been 4 completely
different games, all of them excellent. Balance is still a little bit
in question, as I have seen red triumph in only one of those games.
That said, it will always yield a fantastic game and everyone should
try it. If you're worried about balance, play it unrated. And I
wouldn't call it unbalanced, because blue has won a couple of games
that could easily have gone the other way. Hear me loudly, I am not
saying it's unbalanced, just that I'm not sure and I feel it's
important to make that clear.

Back to the map. Basically, there are so many areas of importance on
this map, you have to pick and choose where you want to focus. And if
you pick the wrong spot and your opponent doesn't, it will be lights
out. But I love the choices this map gives both players. I have been
red twice and blue twice and every single one of my starting turns has
been completely different. I am a huge fan of maps where you are
fighting from all sides and this one is up there with the best of
them. As well, you will need skills with every single unit available
on this map, except for the worthless Zerker, of course. If you
foolishly use planes or ships, it will be a short game. If you don't
defend your position, it will be a short game.

However, if it ends up being a long game, prepare to be taxed by the
strategic decisions you have to make and entertained by the brilliance
of the map and the gameplay.

Darkbee

Berserker

Africa Bombataa v.2 by Casaubon

Darkbee wrote:Fitting that a map of a continent comprising of many so called Third World countries would feature third world income. Income is one of the key features of this map because it is so very low. This forces you to spend wisely, attack wisely and plan your expansion very carefully. In some ways this is a positive thing as it stops the map becoming another DFA/Trooper slug-fest. In other ways, it can make the map heavy going particularly if players are only taking a turn or so a day.

One of the main problems with this map is that it's one of those Ring-a-Ring Rosey maps in which players fight in a circle, leading to each opponent typically having an opponent either side. This leads to the inevitable collapse of some players at the expense of others, and then at that point the map is pretty much game over for everybody.

To this end, Purple definitely seems to have a strong starting position and is afforded the luxury of favorable terrain for expansion and the ability to somewhat sit back and let everyone else fight it out.

Overall, a reasonably fun, albeit slow moving map with some potential balance issues. Spend wisely and rejoice in the fact that you won't be indebted to some Western, industrialized nation for the rest of your life.

Garry

Raider

Carribean http://weewar.com/map/32896

Interesting map but with a decided bias to blue & white since they have island base starts and no competition for those bases. Those two get a jump-start on income and then have very safe home bases to launch fleets to attack the mainland colors.

Red and Green have flanks on the edge, but very limited base availability. Purple and yellow have more bases, but are in the middle with almost immediate conflict on both flanks.

As the mainland colors slug it out in the jungles and mountains, blue/white build up fleets and can attack red/purple/yellow/green with almost impunity. Their secure income base on the islands gives them a decisive advantage. A more even game might be teams of b/r/p vs w/g/y forcing white and blue to fight for the islands.

Weeseltown

Raider

great stuff thank you all very very much for any review contributed - keep em coming anybody with 10 reviews will be pixelated and appear as a weeseltown inhabitant on the site.
Garry I got an idea already how yours would look like

btw the site has still 2 problems actually.
first the cache ache. sorry often you still need to use ctrl+shift+del -> confirm on popup window or options screen to empty your browser´s cache memory. in the latest version you should see little flags to the country names in country mode, if not, you see an outdated version of weeseltown.
second issue: the scroll field where the reviews are, would not scroll before clicking it with left mouse button first. this behavior changed in firefox since the last firefox update, same with chrome. guess its similar with other browsers I will come up with some better scrolling solution but I am doing something other behind the scenes on weeseltown currently. *mystery*mystery*

Garry

Raider

Thats a scary thought Casa...

Stalingrad http://weewar.com/map/34343

Not a balanced map. Blue starts so close - and has the initial move - that red is being overwhelmed before he can set a defense. The armor force is so overwhelming that all red can do is lay out speed bumps. By the time attrition can start building on blue, they have enough bases to reinforce. And red loses those bases and cannot build the artillery and heavy units needed to keep in the fight. The east bank is too narrow, so red cannot protect his very, very limited artillery from blue air force.

johnmd20

Raider

Vegas Assault: http://weewar.com/map/53390

This map would be good for one thing and one thing only: Point farming as blue. Red has absolutely no chance in this game, the main bases are much closer for blue and when blue arrives, it's game over. This map has no replay value, no play value, and no value whatsoever. I suggest avoiding it unless you want to waste time and, even then, the game MUST be played unrated.

ThulsaDoom

Heavy Trooper

US East Coast: http://weewar.com/map/28424

Blue/Red start face to face on this one. Working back into your territory while guarding the front appears to be the beginning strategy. There is potential for Blue to work into Red's front line, but at the same time if Blue does not work west on the map soon enough the flank looms over him. On first play I lost my front line midway, but was still able to bog down my opponent for the purpose of not letting them round Florida peninsula. The geography allowed this, and it saved me on several turns. This map appears to be a bit more of a challenge for Blue in my opinion, although patiently planned attacks may be the key, seeing that crossing over middle terrain is a slow process. After first run I enjoyed the map, but found that southwest portion of map did not come into play much at all.

TD

ThulsaDoom

Heavy Trooper

Mini Australia: http://weewar.com/map/44063

Have to agree with Nature_God's description on this one, it is a good mini game. Was a little wary of Blue's position on east coast of map thinking that hooking around would be easy. The fact that both shipyards are not captured for Blue makes for a good balance, as well as the speedboats proximity to each other and key points on map. Good placement of forest and desert hexes too. Terrain bonuses are key, and not forgetting about the center lane keeps from unwanted visitors if the coast battle is not going your way. I would recommend this map and will be playing again. Thumbs up.

TD

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next