Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 next

Shulgin

Tank

jeye wrote:Lets say the enemy has 10 speedboats. How am I going to kill them without spending more than 2000?

you could build 10 speedboats yourself
i still don't think there was anything wrong with the speedboat before. having the cruiser dealing less damage than destroyers against them does, however, seem alright....

Casaubon

Tank

what are your experiences with the new battleship so far?
I think the split of roles in the big boat class worked quite well. I used all ships in a mix mostly. The choice to buy either destroyer or battleship was dependent on target area distance and my cash reserves, so I used both, always accompanied with Air defense ships and some speedboats or a sub.
I also quite used the cheaper speedboats a lot on testserver. It was a nice occupation for far back harbors to chain produce them, if I had enough $$. I still would do it probably if their combat stats would be slightly worse for that price.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/07/2010 07:50:18

bdr529

Heavy Trooper

Shulgin, I think jeye's comment idea was that (typically) the small number of harbors on a map makes it take longer to build 10 speedboats than 10 hovers. I'm guessing, anyway

Casa, I keep expecting the battleship to dish out more damage than it does on the test server, heheh. Seems like something that moves that slow should deliver a punishing blow to smaller units. But, I do like the reduced cost and that seems like a good compromise, especially in the new mixed-use naval battles.

bdr529

Heavy Trooper

Oh, couple other observations - I love the helicopter's 4+2 now (and would also love 3+3). I agree with earlier posts that the naval attack ship (destroyer currently) should probably have minor attack vs subs rather than be totally vulnerable.

Lastly, I found I don't like the 2x attack of the Berzerker... maybe faster repair instead? The increased mobility is cool though.

Thanks for all your effort!

jeye

Tank

When can we expect some unit changes from the testserver be ported to the main server?

spadequack

Heavy Tank

We plan on making changes to the test server early next week for another round of testing that will last another several weeks. We want to make sure players experience the new unit stats and are pretty satisfied with the changes before launching it live. Although my internship ends in two weeks, I plan on sticking around on the dev side and making these changes, as well as some other forthcoming changes, happen.

@bdr - the berserker's increased mobility is very subtle: A change from 6 to 7 just means that the berserker can travel across one plains/repairshop tile (cost 3) + one desert tile (cost 4) whereas before it could not do both. it is fairly uncommon and was done just to level it out with the heavy tank, making it easier to remember the movement powers of both.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 31/07/2010 05:41:27

Casaubon

Tank

I like the double attack of the berserker, it still remaians vulnerable to heavy artillery and heavy trooper combos but gives it the special feature that makes it worth the 900.
I use it to clear path for my lighter units to get onto enemy artillery when there is a narrow path of access. the berserker alone still cant get them, but it can open room for more mobile units now as most of its attacks result in a kill. throughout this game we both used a handfull of berserkers and had some nice interim victories. I hope I got the upper hand there now

jeye

Tank

For the berserker I realized it is very effective in killing other berserkers and most land units. While the berserker does not do a better role in defense than the heavy tank its double attack make it worth building.

skywalkre

Trooper

What plans are there to address the lack of appeal of units like light art, assault art, AAA guns, etc as shown in both graphs? So far the changes do nothing to make those units any more appealing, which seems to be the aim of some of these changes.

Has any consideration been given to removing units? In all my years of playing games, board to computer, I'm very wary when talk moves to adding units to make a game better or fix supposed issues. So far in the games played on the test server, I've seen no real shift towards getting a wider range of units used. If anything, I think the game would be best served by eliminating or combining of units.

jeye

Tank

skywalkre wrote:What plans are there to address the lack of appeal of units like light art, assault art, AAA guns, etc as shown in both graphs? So far the changes do nothing to make those units any more appealing, which seems to be the aim of some of these changes.

Has any consideration been given to removing units?

I think removing units is a bad idea because every unit has a situation where it is useful. This situation may be rare and therefore there are not so many credits spend on some units. The examples you give certainly have their purpose:
Assault art: good to kill DFA. Also useful as a flexible and fast first hit unit if you can afford it.
Light art: good against trooper clusters.
AAA gun: good to kill air units. Particularly when teamed up with a jet.

CaptainCupCake

Tank

We could also invent a new piece for chess, give it a starting place on the board and a scope of movement. Once there, it would have a use. Depending on the idea, this may have a very broad or more specific application. Would it improve things...? Once there and part of the game, would we think of removing it?

A daring question (could we remove units) to ask perhaps...although in the end, I'm pretty fond of what's there now

Casaubon

Tank

I'm against having units that are too multifunctional (like current destroyer), which makes the game more income driven and very hard to win against a richer player. If you want play less units on a map, you still can choose some of the set and disable for a particular game = more options than having less "merged" units.

CaptainCupCake

Tank

Casaubon wrote:I'm against having units that are too multifunctional (like current destroyer), which makes the game more income driven and very hard to win against a richer player. If you want play less units on a map, you still can choose some of the set and disable for a particular game = more options than having less "merged" units.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate I know, but couldn't you argue that you could always play without destroyers, with that logic, or on a non-sea map? The game is income driven anyway, given equal skill, so I guess you're saying that the more complexity, the more chances a richer, but less knowledgeable player won't know how to use the huge variety of units as well.

Does chess rely on this? Is that skill? I guess so many times we like to cover all bases, but I have always felt that something that is both simple and complex - aka "the minute to learn life-time to master" mantra - requires design genius. Not that I mind particularly, but I've lived a lifetime of "Wouldn't it be cool if we add this", to find real improvements arrive more rarely than I'd hoped.

Don't get me wrong, love all the suggestions and putative plethora of new units, but I'm lazy, old and lack the time, so I'd like to make the best of a focused game vision. Something in between chess and Medieval Total War (insert complex strategy game of choice). But just my $.02

Shulgin

Tank

CaptainCupCake wrote:I'm playing Devil's Advocate I know,...

always makes me think of this.

btw, why is it so annoyingly hard to find video snippets on the internet these days?

CaptainCupCake

Tank

Shulgin wrote:always makes me think of this.

I think you've got

Shulgin wrote:btw, why is it so annoyingly hard to find video snippets on the internet these days?

Would that be due to copyright gone mad?

Another daft idea - drop the Anti Aircraft and up the strength of attack artillery v aircraft. That would work I reckon. Maybe (*tries to sound caring*)

Daft perhaps only because units are one of the differentiators between trial and pro, so if I were the business I wouldn't want to do this

previous 1 2 3 4 next