Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 next

VonBastard

Tank

Skippy wrote:The young school kids know better than to post their personal information on a public forum filled with strange middle aged men

You've found me out. time to give my real bio info.

Sex: Male
Nationality: French and Polish
Career: Director

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/10/2009 14:47:56

McMonster

Tank

Skippy wrote:The young school kids know better than to post their personal information on a public forum filled with strange middle aged men

lol! exactly, exactly. you found me out too. but i was hoping to skippy out on the "middle age" title for a wee bit yet. first wee one's just in the oven tiger. isn't your first cub new to the world as well? can't be middies yet, can we

"strange". yes. but i prefer ungeneralizable and asymmetrical. but no swearing. none. no more potty mouth in the forums. promise

Tygerdave

Heavy Tank

lol 2nd cub actually. Average Male Life expectancy in the 75 to 80 year range for most of us here, so you could say 25-50 is middle aged I suppose. I guess 35 or 40 is when people generally say it begins though

Streen

Heavy Tank

General_Death wrote:Do you think it is a generalization when I say that most people on weewar are educated, relatively young to middle age civilized individuals?

I truly have had some awesome conversations with some very intelligent and kind folks here. I'm glad that weewar attracts the best. Of course there are the original turkeys, but those are rare.

More importantly, I have a conclusion I've reached that I would like your input on. I think people who are educated, are almost always much better civilized and established than their uneducated counter-parts. I know this is not rocket science, but it's a reminder for you folks out there with kids (most of my friends on weewar) make sure you do not deny them the privilege of education.

I join in here a bit late, but better late than never.

Of course most people are young to middle aged, cause aged folk dont really play much computer games
Educated? Yeah, I can get on board with that.
Civilized individuals? Have you ever met me?

Furthermore:
Being educated dont mean one has to be civilized. You think more before you act, but thats about it.

Furthermore:
Most people here are educated for several reasons:
1) weewar dont offer much to uneducated folk, its not about fancy graphics or fast action, so its entirely about thinking
2) and most important I think: How do most people even get here? through word of mouth and referral right? So refers? who gets the word out? Who hears about games such as these in the first place? people browsing obscure gaming and programming sites, and who does that? A group of people often referred to as "geeks" (I dont like that name much but for this purpose it explains what I mean). These are programmers, postgraduate students and the like.
3) Who can even play this game and cope with the addiction factor? People that have jobs sitting in front of a PC with flexible enough work conditions that allow them to check in here every few hours or so. Very few people here play after work. In fact its one of the developers selling points of the game, you can play it at work. Now a chef, bank clerk, taxi-driver or construction worker cant check their turns all that often

Furthermore:
Demographic data:
Occupation PhD student in AI
Nationality: Luxembourg (Hah, beat that for being unique)

Furthermore:
General_Death wrote:P.S. don't compare weewar to chess.. Weewar is much more complex. In chess you move one piece at a time, big computers can program unbeatable chess programs.

I highly doubt IBM or HP will ever come up with a perfect weewar bot fighter.

I think ... in fact I am sure that weewar and chess are very closely related. Sure you got more boards, units and strategys, but all in all I think Chess is the harder game. But chess has history. The best strategys are well known, many people wrote book about chess, nobody writes strategy books about weewar. Chess is popular, THATS why people program bots to beat humans, they make history if the succeed. If tomorrow, I come up with the perfect all winning weewar bot, whats that gonna give me? the respect of about 100 people? Hardly worth the effort...

Furthermore:
.... Naah, just kidding with ya .... I am done.

CaptainCupCake

Tank

Cunningly mixing the topics, 32 years ago when I was playing chess at the age of 10 in my middle class neighbourhood in England, there were no computers that could beat the best humans at the game. It wasn't even clear there would be.

The amount of effort and research that has gone in to change that is huge. Sure something good could be done for weewar with as much effort. As Streen says - "why?". From my very limited understanding, the best programs still can not calculate every outcome from a given position, so there are still positional evaluations to be performed, databases of positions. Weewar has to be harder (to program than to play) then, there are a lot more factors to consider?

No chance of a Streen_bot anytime soon then?

edit: I think I'm even boring myself with this, ignore it all, I'm going back to sleep

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/10/2009 13:56:11

Daphron

Raider

Unmarried (lucky me!)

Weewar attracts those who can't take turns throughout the day also.

McMonster

Tank

CaptainCupCake wrote:Cunningly mixing the topics, 32 years ago when I was playing chess at the age of 10 in my middle class neighbourhood in England, there were no computers that could beat the best humans at the game. It wasn't even clear there would be.

edit: I think I'm even boring myself with this, ignore it all, I'm going back to sleep

lol. even more cunningly mixed topics CCC. you're not boring. au contraire.

CCC's demographic data:

"middle class" (origins, at least. very important data to the English)
British

Somar96

Tank

13 years old
Student/chess player
Polish

Daphron

Raider

Ah! Someone with near identical stuff as me (cept I'm only partly polish)

CaptainCupCake

Tank

McCann wrote:"middle class" (origins, at least. very important data to the English)

Well I can't hunt and don't read the tabloids

I'm not at all nationalistic, it causes all sorts of problems. Don't blame me for anything - I said it would all end in tears. I'm not a demographic, I'm a free man etc etc blah blah...

But I like tea.

er...are you really sure you should be encouraging people like this?

VonBastard

Tank

McMonster wrote:
CaptainCupCake wrote:Cunningly mixing the topics, 32 years ago when I was playing chess at the age of 10 in my middle class neighbourhood in England, there were no computers that could beat the best humans at the game. It wasn't even clear there would be.

lol. even more cunningly mixed topics CCC. you're not boring. au contraire.

CCC's demographic data:

"middle class" (origins, at least. very important data to the English)
British

Congraz on the name change. I think it is more descriptive of your game play than the last one.

bagster

Heavy Trooper

Demographic:

Male, 33
Canadian
Baccalaureate in computer sciences
I'm a unix sysadmin since 10 years.

katakana

Raider

Male, 41
No degree because it was too boring
Network Architect/CCIE

I suddenly feel so old... where's my StarCraft II?

spadequack

Heavy Tank

More CS/IT computer-y people! =D

I'm studying computer science in a university in the U.S.

CaptainCupCake

Tank

katakana wrote:I suddenly feel so old... where's my StarCraft II?

BA History
MSc Computing
RSI Starcraft

previous 1 2 3 4 5 next