Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 next

alex

Raider

Hey everybody. I am no longer with EA. I left quite a while ago and before EA2D (by then BioWare SF) was closed down. Weewar is still up and running because a lot of people at EA really like it. They are truly passionate about games and despite what people believe do not like or want to kill games. Spadequack's efforts to keep the lights on have also helped a great deal!

I am glad Weewar is still around and I enjoy rediscovering it now that I have a little more breathing room. I was also happy to have been able to restore the free pro accounts for everybody the other day. Let's see what else I may be able to do...

Feel free to hit me up for a game (Be warned: I play slowly). It is good to be back!

entregreeneur

Raider

Wow, the Master returns!

I'm glad to see you coming back to visit Weewar Alex.

Very exciting to know Weewar still has fans and defenders from oblivion at EA.

Personally, I hope Weewar never goes away... I'd still pay for Pro if it were being billed.

If EA were of a mind to promote the game and provide tournament sponsorhip support that could invigorate the community again.

cheers,

EG.

SgtShanks

Heavy Trooper

Alex, so EA still own weewar?

Take it to Kickstarter i say, get crowd funding to buy this baby from EA and let's vamp it up!

Daithi

Raider

It's nice to know the old guard is returning and Evil Arts don't want to can Weewar. However I doubt they'd be willing to give away or even sell the intellectual property. So we're still left without updates and no real future but we'll plod on.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/05/2013 07:27:24

alex

Raider

It is funny that you should mention Kick Starter. At my new company we are kicking around some ideas at the moment.
We had some fun playing around with various concepts: http://dribbble.com/shots/1062147-Tank-and-Tiles

Nothing is decided yet and and we are still busy figuring stuff out. Since I am no longer with EA I can not speak for EA's plans but that should not keep us from making our own. There may be a future yet

Have you guys any sense on how many current and former players would be interested in chipping or other wise participate? Or how we could even reach them these days?

kersplat

Raider

Dang it's good to see you around again Alex. Also cool that you may be looking to go another round with the small form factor games.

I'm not sure the best way to get ahold of the old group, but I know a lot still pop in for a game every so often. A few went over to Warnet when things started to go downhill. I know about 6-9 months ago there was a big push to try to either buy WW or build a clone, but nobody could really rally the troops. If there was something viable, I doubt you would have a hard time pulling in support.

Daithi

Raider

I have a list of emails and I'm sure between Darkbee, Tygerdave and I we could get a pretty substantial list. whether or not people would appreciate being contacted that way is another issue entirely but the data is available.

Regarding a new future there have been a few attempts to move in a new direction but all have struggled. I think most notable is hexfray but that project has gone pretty quiet. I started a project and I haven't got very far due to time constraints, apathy and some procrastination. I've looked at most of the ideas and there's been plenty of ideas and initial motivation but it's been hard to motivate or find volunteers to do the work.
The other problem is wrangling all of the different opinions into a cohesive plan. Some people want it simple, some people want it more complicated.
There's a few forums been created about it, I'm not sure which ones are still active but I could put together some links. I guess the hexfray one is going, Darkbee had one and so do I, also spadequack had a chat room log. I'll see what i can dig up.

Also I'd like to say I love how that tank looks very much like the Weewar tank.

alex

Raider

I have a list of emails and I'm sure between Darkbee, Tygerdave and I we could get a pretty substantial list.

I will set something up so we can start collecting these. It will probably be best to reach out individually but this way we can track the effort.

If you can point me to threads were people discussed what features they'd want to see in a Weewar successor that would be awesome.

FamousAspect

Heavy Trooper

Hi All,

My name is Ethan and I'm working with Alex to build a Weewar spiritual sequel. I've put together a Weewar fan survey so that we can learn what you would most like to see from a new Weewar style game. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts with us. If you used to play Weewar with specific friends, please share with them as well. Taking the survey is the best way to get early access to the game.

Since I'm new to participating in the community (but obviously not to Weewar) I wanted to share a little about myself. I have been designing and producing games for over 10 years and have contributed to over 30 shipped games on just about every platform. I worked alongside Alex at EA/BioWare for years where I was the producer of the Dragon Age Legends social network game. I left BioWare just about a year ago to pursue indie game development and am extremely excited about making this game a reality.

- Ethan

Darkbee

Berserker

Since I set up a couple of community sites, I probably have a good few email addresses of people we can try to contact (if their email addresses are different from the ones used here).

There are a lot of Weewar refugees over at Warnet too. I'm sure we could spread the word and rustle up a pretty healthy crowd if necessary.

spadequack

Heavy Tank

@Darkbee, do you still have forum records from the WWCF? I think we had some good discussions there about what features we'd like in a Weewar-like game.

I found our old chat logs about buying Weewar, but there isn't much there about features, just planning and organizational things.

@Alex & FamousAspect, here is a thread discussing Hexfray and features players would like to see implemented there: http://weewar.com/forum/posts/list/2356.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/05/2013 16:25:12

FamousAspect

Heavy Trooper

@Darkbee - your help is much appreciated. Please spread the word about the survey to as many Weewar players as possible!

Please let people know about our spiritual sequel and ask them to take the fan survey.

The survey responses will greatly improve our ability to make the right choices over the next few weeks as we work on the game.

Darkbee

Berserker

@Spade: Short answer is "Yes, I think so". Long answer is; I don't know if I made a complete backup of WWCF but I think I did. Currently, the site is no longer online but I'll have a look and see if I have all of the files and if so, I can upload everything again. It might be useful to review what was discussed. Although I think a lot of it was discussions about how a psuedo free/open source/volunteer project would work. Nevertheless, I'll see if I can get the files online tonight so we can see what we've got. At the very least, it'll give us reminder of some of the "core" Weewar members. Just don't ask me what your password was to the site.

@FamousAspect: Roger that!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/05/2013 17:58:35

Casaubon

Tank

will spread the word among my friends

entregreeneur

Raider

A little bit exciting

previous 1 2 3 next