Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

McMonster

Tank

Howdy folks,

I have recently slipped momentarily out of retirement and into a couple of games, one of which is a match on Choices http://weewar.com/map/20360

Is it a balanced map?

Baino http://weewar.com/user/Baino had two open rated games on it and I took one. I am winning our game there http://weewar.com/game/389309, but I wondered right away at the start of it if there was FTA (first turn advantage) for blue. Then I noticed that Baino is playing several rated games on the same map and winning all of them, against similarly ranked players. When I started to ask him about it, he didn't respond to my prodding. Then I noticed on Daithi's weespy page that Baino is banned from the WFPU (weewar fair play union).

I then jumped to the conclusion that all of this means that Choices must be bias and that Baino is being dishonest. But this was an error. I apologized and do so again here to Baino for questioning his honour in our game chat, and in the public chat thread. I should have done my homework before jumping to conclusions and making such a big wee-accusation.

As others have pointed out, there is nothing wrong with playing one map over and over again so that you get so good that you defeat all challengers. So long as the map is fair.

Do you think Choices is a fair map? I have never been a good judge until I play a map several times...

Thank you for helping!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/10/2012 10:35:59

Casaubon

Tank

map id number is invalid

thuldai

Raider

Yeah, cannot get to the map either.

I've had an encounter with Baino too. At that time he was also playing the same map over and over again, and at that time it WAS indeed a biased map, although he didn't know that. I had to search the forums to find out about it too, it's honestly not easy to find that out. Afterwards he seems to have changed maps.

So, yes, I think he's a bit of a point-farmer by practicing over and over again, and, yes, he doesn't go out of the way to find out about bias, but, no, I don't think he's really dishonest, he's just (overly?) eager to earn points. But as others also said, there's nothing wrong with that.

Unless the map is biased... Best source is to google the map name and maybe the map number und you might find something in the forums or on one of them old wikis. If a map-crack has an opinion on this specific map (update the link please!) that'd be efficient too, of course.

McMonster

Tank

Casaubon wrote:map id number is invalid

does it work now Cas? (hi!)

what's a "map-crack" Thul? (hi!)

Juffe

Raider

I remember playing Choices a long, long time ago, and then it did seem to be biased in blue's favor. Blue reaches the middle base pair first, and the advantage he gains from the position & initiative is fairly big.

That said, I believe it's possible to play lots of games on such a map without noticing the bias (if you do most of the inviting), because it can be subtle and one may not tend to pay attention to such things when things go well.

Casaubon

Tank

yes it is working now, did anyone calculate what turn blue & red can capture/spawn the first trooper?

thuldai

Raider

A map-crack is a person that's a "crack" i.e. expert at map making and/or map bias judging.

Might be my word invention...

McMonster

Tank

gotcha crack-head

after a few more matches on this map, it is clear that blue can get to and hold the middle, but it may be that red can make up for this choice by blue by pressuring to take both double base corners.

i am not sure.

i think it would only become clear if i played a few matches against a top ranked player. i will invite someone and do so as soon as i am able.