Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 next

VonBastard

Tank

Offline

I noticed in the chat room that some folks were annoyed about someone naming themselves Hitler_2. So, lets see if we can have a civil conversation about this taboo subject.

Shulgin

Tank

Offline

con.

usama_bin_laden - pro or con?

kain7

Heavy Trooper

Offline

con

i am german and my history is bad enough.
Such names are stupid to pick

nocks

Heavy Trooper

Offline

That's not the right name to chose for a war themed turn based strategy game. Likely a sign of very bad taste or childishness.

VonBastard

Tank

Offline

I have always been facinated by the power of certain words. Hitler is one of those words. In fact, everything associated with Hitler is taboo. I think we're making a big mistake here. If we don't openly discuss subjects like this we are opening up ourselves for more trouble. It is said that those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We will risk that here. In my opinion, Hitler was not a crazy mass murderer. He had a vision and a philosopy that he was persueing and we need to understand want that vision and philosopy was because I believe that Hitlers philosopy is alive and well in this world.
Here is an example, Bioethicists at the university of Oxford just released a paper claiming that it was ethical to euthinize childern up to the age of two years old. Their claim was that the childern were not yet seniant beings and therefore could be disposed of. This is exactly what Hitler believed. He killed all those people because his philosopy started that those human beings were sub human so he was able to strip them of their humanity and kill them. and he managed to convince alot of pwerful people that he was right. Hitler is a taboo subject because those powerful people still exist in this world and by not studying Hitler, they and their philosopy are escaping judgement.

Darkbee

Berserker

Offline

Well that's one way to try to liven up the forums.

Gyver

Heavy Trooper

Offline

Uh, yeah, legalize abortion up to the age of two years. I bet that would get a lot of support. Y'tard.

thuldai

Raider

Offline

I feel everybody should be free to pick their names. If somebody thinks "Hitler" is a good name, well, go with it. Truth be told, lots of other names aren't really much friendlier, "General_Death" comes to mind, "The_Colostimizer", "annihilatepop" and "buttpirate" maybe . Also there's lots of nukes among the avatars, and barely any Hello Kitties that I'm aware of. This is a war game, even if wee, and offending names & pictures abound.

BUT: Don't come back yammering that nobody likes you and wants to play with you. You asked for it. Hitler might be a junk more offending than other names and if you you got the effect you asked for, well, yours to deal with.

VonBastard

Tank

Offline

Gyver wrote:Uh, yeah, legalize abortion up to the age of two years. I bet that would get a lot of support. Y'tard.


The Bioethicists(Darwinists) at Oxford University just published a paper recommenting just such a policy. Educate yourself Dickhead.

davidc

Trooper

Offline

I played a game against hitler_2 ... and I have to say it was VERY enjoyable to beat someone called hitler.

But yeah, its not a name I'ld pick.

I wonder how many people have to complain before his name gets changed (censored)?

d,

VonBastard

Tank

Offline

davidc wrote:I played a game against hitler_2 ... and I have to say it was VERY enjoyable to beat someone called hitler.

But yeah, its not a name I'ld pick.

I wonder how many people have to complain before his name gets changed (censored)?

d,


You must be a Democrat.

thuldai

Raider

Offline

You must be American and assume that everyone is either a Democrat or a Republican...

VonBastard

Tank

Offline

thuldai wrote:You must be American and assume that everyone is either a Democrat or a Republican...


Why, yes I am an American but I do not assume everyone is either a Republican or a Democrat as I myself am neither. But when someone starts suggesting that big brother get involved and censor speech, I assumed that they were a big government Democrat. But, you have a point. The poster might be a big government europian, are there any europians that are not?, or a big government asian, or a big government fill in the blank. The point is, the poster is calling for censorship of speech. Now, this might be a foreign concept to you since it seems you might be a foreigner but in the center of western culture "America", we believe in God and also that God not governments gave us the right to speak freely.

thuldai

Raider

Offline

Oh yeah, forgot, God personally gave all freedom to the US. And they kindly donate some to the lowly rest of us, sometimes accompanied by tanks (see Iraq), sometimes just coming with a HappyMeal™ like the barely deserving Europeans...

Except if you want to drink a beer on the street, now that's a freedom you won't get in the US only most other places. But ah well.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: this is a moderated forum. This has nothing to do with "big government" but with having a functional forum. See the youtube forums if you don't know what I mean (and if you think that total freedom is always the best solution everywhere). So, yes, there is indeed a "wee-big government" watching over our shoulders, in case you were unaware of that.

Having said that I agree that I don't want Hitler_2 to be censored. I think the "free market" (players either not playing with him or stomping him happily into the ground until he possibly finds his clan of play-buddies) will take care of that and that's good.

Lastly, davidc didn't actually call for censorship s/he only wondered how many people would have to complain for a name change. Your reaction made me think that a) you were American and b) not a Democrat as you use it essentially as an insult. Your claim that all US Americans believe in God seems to indicate that indeed you're closer to the GOP. Anyway, I was right both on a) and b), yay!

VonBastard

Tank

Offline

thuldai wrote:Oh yeah, forgot, God personally gave all freedom to the US. And they kindly donate some to the lowly rest of us, sometimes accompanied by tanks (see Iraq), sometimes just coming with a HappyMeal™ like the barely deserving Europeans...

Except if you want to drink a beer on the street, now that's a freedom you won't get in the US only most other places. But ah well.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: this is a moderated forum. This has nothing to do with "big government" but with having a functional forum. See the youtube forums if you don't know what I mean (and if you think that total freedom is always the best solution everywhere). So, yes, there is indeed a "wee-big government" watching over our shoulders, in case you were unaware of that.

Having said that I agree that I don't want Hitler_2 to be censored. I think the "free market" (players either not playing with him or stomping him happily into the ground until he possibly finds his clan of play-buddies) will take care of that and that's good.

Lastly, davidc didn't actually call for censorship s/he only wondered how many people would have to complain for a name change. Your reaction made me think that a) you were American and b) not a Democrat as you use it essentially as an insult. Your claim that all US Americans believe in God seems to indicate that indeed you're closer to the GOP. Anyway, I was right both on a) and b), yay!


Your right on everything but the republican part. Although I, did indeed, used to be a Republican but George Bush and the Tea Party changed all that.

previous 1 2 next