Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 next

JanRoman

Raider

Hello everybody, I disappeared for a while.

We were thinking about this thoroughly and I would like to inform you that I got together a small team willing to redo the WW from scratch. I know Weewar players are struggling with a lack of development, shrinking community and generally lack of interest from developers.

We haven't started yet, but during the whole process we would love to cooperate with YOU. There are many great strategists and Weewar players and we would appreciete your help a lot! And whats your reward? We would like to develop a new game (until September or so) based on Weewar just for you. And we would like to play it as well.

What we offer:

HTML5 (no more Flash, yay!)
Very similar pricing to WW (maybe even better! I'm not talking about current situation though)
Mobile version
Modern game features (achievements, variable enviroment, and others)
Possibly modding opportunities
Whole system redesigned

What I would like to do is to take Weewar as you know it, keep the basic principles that you like to much and simply make it better. Many of you know that I played Weewar for some time and I love it. The lack of development made me not interested anymore however.

I would like to know what you think about it. As I am a computer player and one of you guys, I don't want to behave like EA did all the time. YOU ARE THE PLAYERS AND YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DECIDE. Weewar has been struggling for years now, but we would like to stop this little trend.

If you agree and would like to get the development process started, feel free to suggest any possible or impossible features the new game might offer. I want to hear about everything you can imagine, everything is appreciated a lot.

If you wish to consult something privately, feel free to send an email to mail@janroman.cz. More contact information can be found at www.janroman.cz.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 29/04/2012 20:12:42

General_Death

Tank

What a fantastic idea.. I will get back to you with some suggestions, but here's the first:

Missiles that do damage to more than one unit?.. That would be very useful.

JanRoman

Raider

I want to make you sure that none of your suggestions will remain unanswered. Of course, we probably won't implement everything, but I write down every wish and you either get the feature or I will post an explanation why it was not implemented.

I will be very grateful for every possible suggestion. Please try to come up with as many ideas as you can.

bog

Heavy Trooper

cool..

Remove player unavailable for say X turns(?). Many times iv seen squabbles from the start and the second someone can remove they do, ruining the game.

More personal play data on profile please ('',) e.g wins as a team and solo.. umm.. could show favorite units as a percentage on all, rather than just the top 4.

+1 to the splash damage idea

As map making goes could we get the tile co-ord's displayed constantly on the tiles while in mapmaking?

Would 8 player option's ruin the game???

Tygerdave

Heavy Tank

There are certain phrases in there that are red flags to me, mainly:

I disappeared for a while.

and

We haven't started yet

I wish you well, but don't come in chat and here talking trash about EA. While I could wish for a lot more, at least I have a working game here and they are paying to keep the lights on.

You now have a history of disappearing and zero lines of code, you need to show that you can play the game before you start talking trash about the competition.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/04/2012 02:34:41

JanRoman

Raider

I am only looking for people, who are willing to help. If you don't trust the whole idea, simply don't take it into consideration. We are looking for active support since I would like to get Weewar running again.

I have never said a bad word about EA as well. I am just stating the obvious. I've been playing Weewar almost from the beginning, more or less actively, depending on my personal life. Weewar was a lot of fun in the beginning, but during the last two years it became a bit boring. It's not because a flaws in Weewar, it was because of the shrinking community. During the last period, I played woith the same people almost all the time. I knew how they played and was able to prepare properly. I also took a couple of training rounds with Jef and GD as well as with Kain. They shown me what really good player are capable of. I've also played a lot of team games and we led a lot of talk. Players kept complaining about the lack of interest from development and we agreed that the amount of advertisment is really insufficient. The Flash based UI caused more problems than it solved really.

I don't want to force you anything. I love Weewar and I like playing it. Since I was very occupied during the last half of the year and was finishing a couple of projects, I couldn't really afford to spend much time playing Weewar.

We don't want anything from you. All we want to do is to re-develop a game similar to Weewar, which will be continually developed. Let me get something clear - this is not just a hobby project. This is going to be a full time job. We are discussing everything on basecamp, we've just started to make a core to the game.

Daithi

Raider

Well good luck. I'll be surprised if you get anyone willing to help.

kain7

Heavy Trooper

very interesting idea,

i try to help with ideas when you want. I think i see enough from weewar, to say on which positions there is more potential.

special.. the games lives from the units, every unit more gives them more possibilities and then more deep-strategic.

missiles (i think G_D wants nukes ), experience-system, development of base.

There are many possibilities

JanRoman

Raider

I am thinking about rating system conected with experience. New units might be unlocked by playing better. Everything will be connected through ahcievements, which are very important nowadays. Base development is an interesting idea.

What I would like to is to develop more buildings. We have a base, a harbour, an airfield and a repairbay now. I was thinking about making more of them, even though I don't want to make a mess out of it. The first building I am talking about is a building, which would increase your income by a certain percentage. It wouldn't be as much as base income, but it might serve as a secondary objective for players. And it would bring an interesting variety to the game, because the more bases you have, the more income these buildings would provide.

Another building should be connected to the weaponry used. Not sure about this.

At the moment we will focus on creating the core and game eigine. We want to create a functional game engine (with testing graphics and no additional features) until the end of May I think. Until then, every suggestion is welcome.

We also have to decide what domain to buy. If you have a good name for the game, don't forget to write it here. I will register doamin and put the email registration there so that you could recieve all the news and invites.

chernobog

Trooper

If an alternative is available, I am willing to pay to play it.

Other than that, though, I have nothing to contribute.

skippy_the_squirrel

Trooper

As a software developer I would like to suggest that you skip the asking questions and just write a weewar clone. If you get far enough to create a playable game, then ask for opinions about what to add next. I would also suggest that you examine the reasons that you want to do this, if money is your goal my math say's that you will make significantly more money working part time at McDonald's.
To make a site like this pay for itself your need to get a 1000 people to pay 10$ a month. Or some variation there of.

Not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm. I've just been down this path before and know what your getting yourself into.

spadequack

Heavy Tank

I agree with skippy's points above. Who else is involved? There has been a lot of "we" without indication of who that includes.

Good luck! I am skeptical that you can make a Weewar clone in four or five months, but then again I don't know how many developers you have working with you, how many hours/week they will work, and how much experience they have. Weewar has many different components that are nontrivial to replicate with limited experience, such as the battle system, map editor, chat, and bots. In addition, making something that looks as nice as Weewar will take significant time and effort. And all of that will require money from somewhere unless your devs and designers work for free and you already have a reliable server... (might I suggest starting a Kickstarter project??)

I have lots of ideas to improve Weewar but as some others have mentioned, I would like to see something up and running before piling on the suggestions. I am skeptical, but I would be pretty happy if you were able to make it happen. Good luck, and keep us updated!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/05/2012 21:23:16

JanRoman

Raider

Yes, I understand your points, it'll be sorted out. "We" refers to a small group of freelancers. Developing WW is our primary objective right now. We don't want to recreate it fully during the next 5 months, but we would like to present at least some kind of working prototype and we would also like to invite a couple of players to alpha testing. The core is being created right now.

Since this is no official project, I can't set a deadline. But we want to dedicate most of our work for next five months and we don't take this lightly.

I can't expect you to believe in it, I wouldn't believe it either. We'll present a working prototype asap, the only think I'd love is a ton of feedback from all of you.

Thank you.

kersplat

Raider

Yikes - I'm surprised by the skepticism and even the outright hostility by a few of our long-timers. I think you would be better to ignore the negative Nancy's. I seem to recall of few of these very folks talking about developing a game of their own. I also think it's safe to say a large majority of WW's devoted fans have left the game at some point since its inception. Let's also not forget the EA trash fest this community went through not that long ago.

If you have the team interested in taking a shot at rebuilding WW, then I say go for it. I personally think if you have the team then you could kick out the basics pretty quickly. Balduran (former WW player) did something similar and created Warnet. There are quite a few WW folks who migrated and even a few folks (myself included) who straddle both games. It's a pretty killer game as far as feature set is concerned.

I love WW, but I loved it even more when it was in active development and the community was excited about participating. I'm totally open to be a tester and give suggestions where I can. I do like the idea of getting started with the basics and then soliciting feedback. Your initial list of architectural changes sounds fantastic.

Good luck to you!

moJoe

Heavy Trooper

You've caught my attention. I'm willing to step out of the shadows and return to active duty for this. Expect a lengthy post from a veteran weewarer .

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 next