Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 next

Sorensson

Heavy Trooper

It would be interesting if someone with the right greasemonkey script or whatever is needed could record this game. I always look at the finished games and try to see what has happened but it never works.

thuldai

Raider

Let's hope HexFray will do this. Not sure anybody else can. Daithi?

Tygerdave

Heavy Tank

That windows bot framework thing can, I think I have a copy but it's on a hard drive in a dead computer.

Plus, not sure I want to save this for viewing :-p

Tygerdave

Heavy Tank

Juffe crushed me - all hail Juffe T2012 Champion!

Juffe

Raider

Thank you participants, thank you organizers!

Due to Sorensson's above post I saved a few screenshots of some of the key rounds. Maybe I'll post them somewhere if I can figure out a sensible way to do so.

thuldai

Raider

Congratulations to Juffe, the official Tournament 2012 winner!

Also congrats to Tygerdave to his well-deserved silver medal, platter, trooper or whatever he fancies in silver!

And big kudos to Cowboy3 and Copes who made it to the semi-finals and hence share place 3 & 4 with each other (due to a lack of direct encounter we have to leave it at that).

Anybody who keeps track of those tournament winners shall please enter them into their statistics.

Then regular-sized kudos to everybody else for their (mostly) timely playing and their (mostly) very civil, fair and polite participation. All in all it was very inspiring to see the sportsmanship and politeness demonstrated by our participants, a few notable exception excluded, of course.

This officially concludes the T2012 and if that's not celebratory enough just (re-)watch the closing ceremonies of the London 2012 olympics, they only did it for us.

Cheers!

Thuldai
in the name of the T2012-OC, which consisted at least at some point in time of (in alphabetical order):
Casaubon
Daithi
Darkbee
McMonster
Shulgin
Thuldai

Juffe

Raider

Here are images of some key rounds from the tournament final. Maybe they are too small to make any reasonable sense of them, but posting them in larger size warped the forum page out of shape. If anyone has suggestions how to do this better, they are gladly received.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 21/09/2012 21:44:00

RockyDog

Berserker

Seriously teh tournament took 8 months to run? you need ot limit the # contestants next year. or run the tourney in smaller blocks. 4 tourneys of 16 with the top 4 from each advancing to a final tourney of 16.

Juffe

Raider

I liked the group stage in this year's tourney, I'd suggest we extend that form of play to the second round also.

entregreeneur

Raider

Interesting to see those screen shots, thanks Juffe. Congrats on being our 2012 champion. Looks to me like it was a foregone conclusion when you got both harbours at/after round 10? But Tygerdave put up a long and valiant struggle to take it out as far as he did, well done TD.

entregreeneur

Raider

I liked the group rounds at the start too, that was a good way to warm up into the tourney.

Just wondering whether the idea then is to run a couple of separate streams of competion (or even four as suggested above) to get all the later knock-out games over faster with smaller draws of 16 each, then bring together the final 2 for a final or 4 for semi-finals?

entregreeneur

Raider

RD's suggestion is good, but maybe play each group down to the winners, to bring together a final pair or four, rather than another pool of 16. Good/bad points either way.

thuldai

Raider

However you do it, if you want to have the tournament "open" i.e. accessible to anybody interested, it'll take that long. People play a turn a day, that's how weewar is played. 64 players battling each other where every separate game may easily take ~30 rounds, i.e. 20-40 days will easily turn into almost-a-year. And then ppl have holidays, illnesses, etc. which quickly delays a round by a week or two or four.

But I don't think that's a problem, really. Why would it be?

If I were to ever organize a tournament again I'd consider making two parallel tournaments, separated by ranking of players. 32 lower-ranked players play each other and the 32 higher-ranked ones. That sucks for the 32nd-ranked player and is overly awesome for the 33rd but otherwise I feel that'd keep it more interesting for most. But it adds to the complexity of organizing this whole thing (respectively the two things) so maybe I wouldn't do that anyway after all. It really cuts off only one knock-out stage so in terms of time-saving it might shave off a month or not. At the cost of running two tournaments... Although both of those will only have half the size.

The group rounds at the beginning were very successful I feel. Starting with the knock-out stage from the beginning makes the tournament only last one round for half the players. Two rounds for another quarter. Boring. (Let's trust the FIFA on that if not on anything else.) This fails to make this feel like "our" tournament but makes it quickly sth for those guys "up there".

My two cents.

Thuldai

thuldai

Raider

RockyDog wrote:4 tourneys of 16 with the top 4 from each advancing to a final tourney of 16.

This will not make it faster. The number of total games will stay the same.

Not sure if you still have the round-robins in there or not but that also doesn't make a difference.

RockyDog

Berserker

thuldai wrote:
RockyDog wrote:4 tourneys of 16 with the top 4 from each advancing to a final tourney of 16.

This will not make it faster. The number of total games will stay the same.

Not sure if you still have the round-robins in there or not but that also doesn't make a difference.

Actually it CAN make it go a LOT faster, just depends on the style of tournament used. Look at the olympics where they run multiple pools of 4 teams to get the prelims over with quickly. It all depends on format.

previous 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 next