Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 next

johnmd20

Raider

Johnmd, I don’t quite understand your idea, I’m afraid. Could you explain it a bit more? How are class A and class B combined? Or are you suggesting two separate tournaments?

I generally agree to your criticism. When we were planning the annual tournament I suggested playing the tournament completely without seeding so that a first round match could, for example, have been jeye vs GD. A 15xx player still wouldn’t win against a 21xx player but the 15xx would have had the chance to win a few rounds and perhaps get into the quarter final or so. In the end the best player would still win the tournament...

Yes, I'm saying the tournaments should be completely separate. Make the line at 1950 or 1900 or whatever(make it 1819, even) and play two separate tournaments, kind of like a major league and a minor league in US baseball or Serie A and B in Italian Soccer.

Of course, this will cause the 1900's to grip b/c they will then be the bottom of the barrel in the A and B league battles. Still, that would give sub 1550's a chance to win a game or two and a 1900 can beat anyone on any day. Everyone in the tournament would be at risk of losing early in the tournament, in both tournaments. I would humbly submit that a 1500 ranked player has less than a 1% chance to beat a 2100 player. I imagine it's never happened in a tournament. Even in this tournament, there were very few upsets. This isn't NCAA basketball, in Weewar, upsets are rare. I think I am the lowest ranked player to make the final 16, at 1804 when the tourney started.

I am not complaining and I am grateful for the work put into setting up the tournaments. This is merely a suggestion for the future, assuming it's logistically possible. As well, I think a tournament where the seedings were random would be better than the way it is now. Luck of the draw would be fun, how awesome would it be for a 1525 player to win two games and make it to the final 16? How cool would it be to have two 2000+ players play in the first round, in a ranked game?

That's war.

jeye

Tank

I think johnmd20's idea of splitting the tourney up into two major league and minor league tournaments is a great idea for the reasons johnmd20 stated. Furthermore I as a higher ranked play think, playing games against very low ranked players is not that interesting for a tournament, because this games are normally to easy.

Also I think playing a tournament in world cup style where are initial groups of 4 players, would mean that everyone would participate in at least 3 games. However for the time, the tourney needs, it should not be that problematic since games can be played simulataneously.

P.S. For the 16 people in round 3 of the current tournament I think suxyux is the lowest ranked at 1784.

Shulgin

Tank

You guys didn’t convince me, I’m afraid. I think the idea of the annual tournament is to determine the weewar kingpin for the coming year in a big tournament in which everybody who wishes to compete can do so. I think it’s also fun to play with guys you perhaps haven’t played before and normally wouldn’t. Everybody is free to organise other tournaments on the forums for which you could specify permitted rating ranges. Just don’t call it annual tournament

I do, however, support the idea of a world cup style so that everybody gets in at least 3 games.

Rosenstern_and_Guildencrantz

Heavy Trooper

my opponent hasn't logged in for over 10 days now without mentioning vacation or something of that nature. I reminded him twice. I do have a nice advantage but ill let you take it from here rockydog

RockyDog

Berserker

I think we're looking to end this round in 2 more days. If he miraculously shows up and can quickly play turns - then great. Otherwise I think a 10 day lapse makes it an easy choice for us.

johnmd20

Raider

Shulgin wrote:You guys didn’t convince me, I’m afraid. I think the idea of the annual tournament is to determine the weewar kingpin for the coming year in a big tournament in which everybody who wishes to compete can do so. I think it’s also fun to play with guys you perhaps haven’t played before and normally wouldn’t. Everybody is free to organise other tournaments on the forums for which you could specify permitted rating ranges. Just don’t call it annual tournament

I do, however, support the idea of a world cup style so that everybody gets in at least 3 games.

Hey, I get that we want to appoint a Weewar champion. I don't think splitting up the tournaments would stop a champion from being crowned. If the tournament is split, the winner of the B level tournament won't on the same talent level as the winner of the A rated tournament.

My suggestion is akin to the NCAA Tournament and the NIT. The joke of that is the winner of the NIT is the 65th best team in the country. That's not exactly right, but nobody ever considers the teams that do well in the NIT to be on par with the teams that make it to the final four in the main tourney.

My suggestion was made because people ranked below 1800 have NO chance to win the tournament. And people below 1550 pretty much have no chance to win a single game. I can't see how splitting up the tournaments would cause a champion to not be crowned. I think doing that is better than doing random seedings.

I guess talent isn't democratic and if a low ranked player wants to win a few games, I guess they could try to practice and play better. Then again, if they were better, they wouldn't have low ranks.

Alas, no worries, I do appreciate all the work that goes into putting a tournament together and I want to make it clear I'm not complaining. I thank the powers that be for their hard work and diligence and humbly accept whatever decisions are made. But since it was being discussed, I wanted to add my 2 cents.(errr, maybe it was only worth one cent)

RockyDog

Berserker

GyverToo wrote:Can we get the details of the Casein/Mercury ruling?

Yep. Casein was advanced over Mercury.

GyverToo

Heavy Trooper

Ya, but I mean the details -- was Casein deemed to be winning that game? Was Mercury DQ'd for moving too slow? Just wondering what the ruling was....

General_Death

Tank

I think so Gyver, he had been late, and I believe Casein had a somewhat larger army. It's sad to see Mercury go, but rules are rules should be a nasty last couple of rounds nonetheless

General_Death

Tank

Hey RD and judges, I see a lot of talk about ending round 4 on R&G and Kain, I don't think anyone is in a big hurry, let them fight it out..

There's no urgency in starting round 5 for me at least.

Cheers, and thanks for all your work.

RockyDog

Berserker

General_Death wrote:Hey RD and judges, I see a lot of talk about ending round 4 on R&G and Kain, I don't think anyone is in a big hurry, let them fight it out..

In general the issue is that every round is going over time. Right now we're at 3 months and have 2 more rounds to go. Can't have this tourney running when the next one is ready to go!

Not all formats of play are for all players. There is an expectation that to participate in the tournament you will have to take turns in a timely manner. Just as with any tournament for any game or sport, you don't necessarily have all possible participants in the tourney. Slower players may not be suitable for a 2 week per round event. Something to consider for the next event.

Heavy Trooper

RockyDog wrote:
General_Death wrote:Hey RD and judges, I see a lot of talk about ending round 4 on R&G and Kain, I don't think anyone is in a big hurry, let them fight it out..

In general the issue is that every round is going over time. Right now we're at 3 months and have 2 more rounds to go. Can't have this tourney running when the next one is ready to go!

Not all formats of play are for all players. There is an expectation that to participate in the tournament you will have to take turns in a timely manner. Just as with any tournament for any game or sport, you don't necessarily have all possible participants in the tourney. Slower players may not be suitable for a 2 week per round event. Something to consider for the next event.

In general I'm very good at taking my turns in a timely manner. I normally can get through 5-10 turns per day I guess I just thought the tournament would have been over by now. I started up a new job (which blocks weewar unfortunately) and on top of that the server has been sucking so when I get home it doesn't even work half the time. I promise I'm trying my best to play at top speed for you. But if you must advance without us finishing then so be it...there will always be more.

RockyDog

Berserker

Rosenstern_and_Guildencrantz wrote:In general I'm very good at taking my turns in a timely manner. I normally can get through 5-10 turns per day I guess I just thought the tournament would have been over by now.

I think we all expected it to be over earlier. I had originally (hopefully) predicted that we'd finish around the time the NHL and NBA finished their championships.

RockyDog

Berserker

Hi Folks,

There was a lot of conversation in the Kain7 vs R&G game after the judges made a decision to move on to the next round. We have not as yet shared the votes or reasoning for the choices we've been forced to make during this tournament. In fact there has been a need for intervention in nearly every round of this tournament to keep it running. Having run at least two Weewar annual tournaments and last years weecup - I can honestly say that I cannot recall any Weewar tournament having such a rate of dropouts, stalled games, and other issues.

There have also been many comments about maps, methods, and other items relating to the selections we've made for this tournament. I'm not asking for the silent contingent to come to our rescue but I would like to make a few points to those who think we're screwing this tourney up royally:

1) Anyone was welcome to run the tournament. Nobody volunteered. I actually encourage folks to participate on the judges team, or to run the tournament themselves. Be part of the solution, don't just comment on what you would have done differently.

2) Those of us running this event are TRYING to help the community. We are not getting paid. There is no motive other than community service in it for us. Heck, I'm not even IN the tournament.

I have nothing against differing viewpoints on how to run things. But I ask that you bring up these issues during planning phase and be PART of the solution instead of part of the sludge that comes out to complain in the end.

Help your community. Don't just complain about it.

This will be my last tournament organizing event. I certainly hope that Daithi has a tougher skin than I do if he's going to take over after this.

Heavy Trooper

Well, I feel like I have a lot to say on the recent decision to advance Kain7 over me in our recent tournament game. I have numerous problems with it.

I would first like to say that this is in no way directed as an attack or insult at you Kain. I respect you as a player and as a person. I would merely like to gain a better understanding for the judges decision.

#1) was the time each player delayed a factor in making this decision?

I'm sure you all recall Kain being on vacation for the first week of our game and not being able to take his first turn for nearly 7 days after the tournament began. On top of that he delayed through most of the other two weekends for a total of almost 10 days. I was also to blame for part of our game delay. I was driving across the country and unable to take my turn for about 2-3 days and was also a day late once my new job started. So let's call this a total of 4 days. So in evaluating who was most responsible for a delay to the game (my 4 to kain's 10) I feel Kain was certainly more of an impact. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

#2) is a player's material within the game factored into the decision?

As of right now at the beginning of round 14 kain has a material edge of 200 (9,800 to 10,000). It being my turn, and my income being 1240, the end of this turn (assuming no damage to any units) would run me an advantage of 1040 in material. I would think it most fair to take the average of these and assume I maintain an overall material edge of 420. So in the evaluation of material I would assume I have won this category as well. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

#3) are a players bases/income factored in?

I, as well as anyone else can see that kain currently has an extra base. 15 bases to my 14 bases. giving him an extra 85 income per turn. I agree that he would win in this category.

Seeing only #3 in kain's favor i can only assume that this was weighted EXTREMELY heavily in making a decision of who to advance. I would kindly request details (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) on how the judges arrived at their conclusion because to me it seems very ambiguous and I get the feeling kain was just preferred by the judges. I've been very committed to playing promptly throughout the entire 2-3 months this has been running and to now just throw me under the bus like this seems ruthless and is extremely frustrating.

Lastly, all of that aside, every player left in the tournament doesn't mind giving us one more week. What is the reason for the tremendous rush to finish? Is it the responsibility of managing it? If that is the case I would be more than happy to help out. If it is something else, perhaps I can help out in another way or we could find a solution.

This just doesn't seem fair.....

previous 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 next