Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 next

Lucian

Berserker

Point farmers are becoming more and more frequent. I think we need to separate them out as a new sort.

VTTruck

Berserker

while point farmers aren't in the same league as droners (worst) they do represent a problem in general to the site. they discourage new players to keep playing. i think that was one of the devs discussion points months back; i.e. how to encourage new players to stay longer. pillaging noobs does not encourage people to stay around.

the new 'point system' to starting games should help this a ton.

VTTruck

Berserker

just for the record:

calioon1989
oh i just play this game for fun, hosting games and play anyone who joins i don't care if they are good or not?
calioon1989
doesn't bother me, call me wahtever you want, game is fun though
calioon1989
i've lost to people below 1500
pro player VTTruckon1880
the game is great. but when top players continually beat the newbies it turns them away.
pro player VTTruckon1880
if you're just looking for a good game - set the point range in your open invites to 1700 as would be appropriate for your rank.
pro player VTTruckon1880
or play unrated if you love it that much (like many of us do).
calioon1989
actually i alwyas give tips to first time players, i'm sure a lot would vouch for me
calioon1989
i find if i put rating requirements, it takes hours for someone to join, most high ranked players are pro and want pro maps/units which i dislike =/
pro player VTTruckon1880
all 16 people you've played? or is it 17 now? 78 games, very few players.
pro player VTTruckon1880
so play unrated games.
pro player VTTruckon1880
i've played tons of new players, always unrated so that they can learn peacefully.
calioon1989
that recent doesn't even work, i've played like 60 different people
pro player VTTruckon1880
it doesnt stop me from giving tips either.
pro player VTTruckon1880
actually the recent has proven pretty reliable over the time i've been here.
pro player VTTruckon1880
doesnt mean it isnt acting poorly now, if so your situation would certainly look different
pro player VTTruckon1880
but nobody else has found it to be broken.
calioon1989
i know for an absolute fact, that recent is not working
calioon1989
i played a game vs a top player named leelar, it was awesome, and yet he's not on my list
calioon1989
i've played so many people who aren't on that recent, dunno why =/
pro player VTTruckon1880
funny, its working perfectly for me. those i've played recently are on the tab including new and old players.
calioon1989
not for me, i've played a few people this morning, that don't show up
pro player VTTruckon1880
as i said, if its broken theres a different story to be heard. please, tell us which 1700 players you've been in with recently? whom other than noobs are you playing? playing <1600 for wins is point farming. you became noticeable when you hit the top 15.
calioon1989
i don't know, i've played leelar and watyousay or something those are 2 awesome players that stood out, i just host a game and play anyone who joins, you can call me wahtever you like i do'nt intend to get involved in this community i just play the games
pro player VTTruckon1880
enjoy your day then.
calioon1989
u 2 bro

spadequack

Heavy Tank

i feel like in the case of calio, as long as he plays some rated games with players with ratings comparable to his, his place in the rankings will settle to where it should be. if he turns out to be an exceptionally good player, then i would consider it point farming.

i think this is more of a problem of having aruba and el pentano pequeno as standard maps which any player can join. usually new players join games on these maps because they look quick and they can only join games on standard maps. many players, perhaps including calio, are not aware of blue's advantage on those maps.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 29/03/2009 20:00:30

VTTruck

Berserker

i wouldn't mind as much what he's doing, if he was playing anyone of consequence to go along with the noobs.
if he didnt know aruba was biased before he should now.

in the end, i think its commonly agreed that abusing noobs for points is detrimental to recruiting and keeping new players here. if that is not accurate then i'll retract my objections to his point farming. OTOH that removes the main argument against point farming. there is nothing illegal about it other than discouraging new players.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/03/2009 21:24:45

Lucian

Berserker

Another downfall of the point system.

Then again... I've no problem with people like him that actually accept an invite. It's those that invite others on biased maps and don't accept invites on those same maps that are most definitely aware of point farming and are doing it purposefully.

applepath

Trooper

as revealed in game #150636 and maybe elsewhere: clearly invite6 and invite7 are involved in droning...and it appears Fraid is the same player as well...kind of smells

Lucian

Berserker

That's kind of a given. There are a lot of invite accounts. I'm not sure what the hell this dude's trying. I doubt he's testing, but this much should be common sense. I mean it's the same username with a different number. Just check the join date, the user ID (which are one right after the next) and if for some reason you're still unsure, use the spy script to check their games.

baltika

Heavy Trooper

what about bananajoe?

only see him playing aruba against weaker opponents (considering points). is already at 1850.

i don't have evidence for this and will not collect it, but maybe other players have the same experience...

if i'm wrong, sorry bananajoe!

Lucian

Berserker

Based on his recently played tab, he most definitely favors playing low ranking players and all four of his current matches are invites on Aruba, though two turned against him. I'd say he's either someone who really loves Aruba or more likely a blatant point farmer. Invite him to a game on Aruba and if he declines as red, you prove that he is guilty.

Darkbee

Berserker

Yesterday there was a lot of talk on community chat about BananaJoe (46774). He had created a rated, open game on Aruba and Antayat (58829), a new player joined the game. Naturally, antayat lost and was indifferent stating that it was his/her choice to join the game, but taking advantage of a newbie, is taking advantage of a newbie whichever way you spin it. BananaJoe could have done the decent thing and offered peace.

One to watch I'd say.

Lucian

Berserker

Once again, it could have been innocent, but my instinct says it wasn't. Invite him to the map rated and if he accepts then it is likely that he doesn't know about the bias and just likes the map. If he declines, he's a point whore.

Darkbee

Berserker

Now that's what I like to see:
http://weewar.com/game/150758
http://weewar.com/game/150854

Looks like BananaJoe is getting a run for his money. Nice.

Lucian

Berserker

Yup. That's what I said about the tables turning on him. Still. Has anyone tried inviting him to a game?

davewasthere

Raider

I don't know about 'cheating' per se, but think these two are definitely cooperative playing without mentioning it at the start:
http://weewar.com/user/JunkNJones
http://weewar.com/user/Racker

Here's my game
http://weewar.com/game/147720

And another one where it looks like they've teamed up
http://weewar.com/game/146708

Am happy to play teams if it's mentioned at the start, but hidden cooperation like this does suck a little. Not sure what to do about it really...

previous 1 2 3 4 next