Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next

Lucian

Berserker

Good... good. Added two more.

VTTruck

Berserker

what amazes me is how many of these are in the top of the popular maps area.

Here's a few more:

Fish in a Barrel just a silly map really
Jovana's Fields I find this one fair but some top players
have said it has a blue tint to it. Anyone have opinions before it gets added to the list?
Tai Chi the original. did we mention that one yet?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/12/2008 04:12:40

Lucian

Berserker

Funny thing... I played GD about 3-4 times. Once on The Bog, once on Jovana's Fields and once on Instant Action. I think that it was a different version of Jovana's Fields though. Besides Instant Action, which we pretty much abandoned turn two, I had no idea the other two had a slant.

Not a big fan of the bog... or Botanic Gardens which is the other one we played. I just don't like maps like that. Too boring.

VTTruck

Berserker

So since at least 4 of those maps are basic account offerings and another couple are top 10
popularity. Shouldn't an attempt be made to fix em up? especially the basic level ones?

In Muzzafars thread the issue of keeping new players around is the topic. I'd think having unfair maps, leading to an increased amount of losing by the new folks, would lead right into their
departure.

Lucian

Berserker

There already are fixes for many of those maps. We just have to get people to 'unfavorite' the unfair maps and 'favorite' the balanced versions.

troymadsen

Tank

VTTruck wrote:

Jovana's Fields I find this one fair but some top players
have said it has a blue tint to it. Anyone have opinions before it gets added to the list?

I have played this as blue and I eventually ended up winning but it was a very long and drawn out battle. I didn't really see too much advantage to being blue, but there are definitely better and more balanced maps out there.

These definitely have a blue advantage:
Nort
Kilna's Mayhem One-on-One
Copy of the Bog

VTTruck

Berserker

Funny thing troy - isn't that last one nearly the same as the map you invited me to and
beat me on?

I agree that Jovana's fields seems fair, just reporting that a few other higher rated players
seem to think its biased. I've seen red win plenty. Ask Egobruiser, he's played it a ton against
many different ratings.

Lucian

Berserker

...and the list keeps growing. Fourteen maps ladies and gents. Keep them coming!

VTTruck

Berserker

Should we ask the devs or those holding the maps to put disclaimers in the comments about their
unfair nature?

troymadsen

Tank

VTTruck wrote:Funny thing troy - isn't that last one nearly the same as the map you invited me to and
beat me on?

No, it isn't. If you want to see the difference I'll invite you to a game on Copy of the Bog and it will be over in single digit rounds. I played that map once to see how it was balanced and found out very quickly that it is not at all balanced. The map that we played is balanced much better, but it has a specific strategy that if one player goes for the middle first then that player is likely to win (although as a disclaimer I hadn't played the map that we played on before so I didn't know if it was balanced). I didn't force you to play that map with me. And I gave you a re-match on the map of your choice so don't be a sore loser.

VTTruck

Berserker

@troy - no whining here, was more of a tongue-in-cheek if anything. no complaints

InspecterJones

Raider

Pretty much any symmetrical maps are going to give blue an advantage. This list shouldn't be about which maps aren't balanced, it should be a list of BALANCED maps cause there are fewer of those.

If we DO start that list, I submit my map (cause i'm f*ing amazing) as completely balanced.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/12/2008 20:32:40

Lucian

Berserker

We've already made a start and this will be more useful to newcomers anyway. When someone invites them to a map they can quickly search the map name in here and see if it's biased towards a certain color. The primary objective here is to spread the word regarding popular biased maps. As a general rule anything that is perfectly symmetrical is biased towards the starter, but I'll edit the top post to mention that. We won't submit/take every bloody map out there, just the more popular ones.

NewAccountForce

Raider

WEEEEEEEEEEE
WEEEEEEEEEEEE
WEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Force, xD

Kurtis

Heavy Trooper