Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

Daithi

Raider

I've been thinking about this for a while and I see some new bots out there so it's time for the first bi-annual(maybe quarterly) Weespy Bot tournament.

The plan is to run this through http://weespy.co.uk because it will be easier than the forum and if your lucky I might have time to automate the process.

I plan to start say in a month on the 15th of March with registration opening on the 5th but please express your interest if any here so I can get an idea of if this is a good idea.

There should be some rules and I think maybe these should be the preliminary ones.

No Brute Force - Using a super computer or distributed cloud to host your bot so you can make significantly more calculations will be considered cheating. All participants must run on a machine (computing device) with no more than say a 2GHZ quad core.

Must Keep a Record - For the duration of the tournament the bot must not delete a tournament game for the 48 hour period following the match.

Must Be Always On - For the duration of the tournament all bots should attempt to run 24/7. Mostly this is so games can happen any time unattended but also so the bots are available to the public during this period.

[ To help facilitate the previous two rules all tournament game names must prefixed with "WBT032011". ]

Must Identify the Code - At the start of a game all bots must identify themselves in chat with their name, language, framework name and the name of the current code.

I might change these rules a bit closer to the time but not wildly. I know the developers and the players just want to see them play but the changes to support these rules aren't that major.

Let me know what you think and please offer suggestions since I've hardly thought this through at all.

bolav

Trooper

I am interested.

What are your thoughts on tournament format, maps, starting of games?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 02:11:37

Daithi

Raider

I think players will have to login manually to start the bot games. I haven't thought much about the format but I think there should be more than one map since the bots can play faster, maybe one land map, a sea map and a mixture.

On the matter of playing faster, I think there should be some rules about turn rate limiting and there should be a way to avoid a 2000 turn game but i need to think about that a bit more.

Casaubon

Tank

does it make sense if weebot participates? just to know where its AI is standing in its current form.

Daithi

Raider

It does if someone can make weebot comply with the rules. I was going to enter ai_weebottest to test the weebot simple bot but for the kajah bot someone will have to make the modifications.

On that note I should mention special arrangements will be made for ai_ZappBrannigan but i'd prefer not to extend that to anyone else.

kajah

Heavy Trooper

Would be interested... Will have to scrape weebot off the floor

Daithi

Raider

If anyone is unable or will struggle to host their bots for the duration of the competition, I can host them if necessary providing that the binaries will run on windowsxp/7 or ubuntu and they aren't polling too fast.

henryci

Trooper

Daithi, you have given me a deadline, which is exactly what I needed! I'm definitely up for this.

-- Henry

thuldai

Raider

I'm looking forward to this, even though I'm far away from bot programming. Hope it'll happen!

Daithi

Raider

So it's past the 5th and your probably wondering what if anything is going on. I'm close to starting, hopefully a few days away. There will still be 10 days between registration and the start. I have got a small prize and I should be able to add the new features to facilitate this to weespy shortly. As soon as it's all go, we'll get this show on the road.