Only in the form of destroyers and battlehips. 4% [ 1 ]
Exclusively. I lose because I don't add infantry screens. 56% [ 15 ]
Never. I hover-spam. 15% [ 4 ]
No, but I should learn how. 15% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

«

Warmaker

Berserker

Ever since I came back from my 'break' I have been using artillery in every map. A lot of artillery. I place it well, too.

I saw an immediately jump from mid-1500s to high 1600s, and I'm playing some good players. I have never put a lot of stock in artillery but allow me to raise a glass to the field guns. They really change the map.

Newbies: Use artillery. It works. It's unstoppable.

RockyDog

Berserker

I'd love to reply to your poll, but all the answers are really in the negative. How about something like "I use them in most games" or "yes, and I defend them well too".

Yes I use artillery. You need to on most maps. Combined arms is the path to victory.

Warmaker

Berserker

The poll was more a laugh then anything. I realized I didn't have "Yes, and I win with them a lot."

My bad.

Casaubon

Tank

true rockydog! I also did miss such an option to choose from

some quotes:
God fights on the side with the best artillery.

Napoleon Bonaparte

I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did.

Gen George S. Patton

Artillery is the god of war.

Stalin

Artillery conquers and infantry occupies.

J.F.C. Fuller

teg916

Heavy Trooper

I have been working on some good anti-artillery strategies. It is difficult to counter a DFA with anything other than a DFA. Air power is the only answer. In my opinion that artillery piece is too strong.

Warmaker

Berserker

If you can get naval units near it, you do okay. Sneaky Assault artillery attacks are good too. But a well-defended DFA can do serious damage. Do you think it should be more expensive?

teg916

Heavy Trooper

My personal opinion is it should do less damage. I think if artillery in general did less damage but maybe increased attack bonus more that would be more realistic. Maybe cut damage in half and increase attack bonus by 2. That would have to be play tested though to see how it works out.

Too many maps turn into a race to see who can build more DFAs the fastest in order to win. Basically any map with choke points is this way.

Casaubon

Tank

interesting idea, I also try to play more tank based strategies, but against good artillery players they mostly are useless

Warmaker

Berserker

You want realism?

Artillery is responsible for almost 90% of all casualties in modern combat. Field guns truly rule ground combat. I was an MP in the Marines for six years and did battlefield circulation (we gave directions to units on roads). Artillery always had right of way, over ambulances, medical crews, resupply units, armor, etc.

Garry

Raider

Artillery is THE big killer in the real world.

To add 'realism' to our little hexes would be to have infantry get a bonus for staying stationary for a turn to simulate their 'digging in'. Or to have some sort of strong-pointing action they could do for a turn.

Of course that would totally unbalance the rest of the game... but it would answer your quibble about artillery power.

Sorensson

Heavy Trooper

teg916 wrote:Too many maps turn into a race to see who can build more DFAs the fastest in order to win. Basically any map with choke points is this way.

I often disable DFA:s on higher income maps. They turn so many maps into stalemates or just cold wars. (Also sometimes I disable destroyers, they are bit too good on a map where there is much sea-land interaction.)