Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

Bloodaxe_999

Heavy Trooper

Just thought It would make sense to put down some of the mistakes that new players make. Oh and I'm a beginner

1] Thinking Airfields and Ports give income. (I was pretty sure they didn't but asked)

2] Thinking tanks can capture Bases, Ports, Airfields. (common of jump right inners)

What are the others?

Casaubon

Tank

3) when I started (long time ago) I thought subs would be kind of invisible to the enemy like in every other game

Shulgin

Tank

hmm, i didn't have a problem with 2) and 3)...

4) when i started i thought symmetric two player maps are fair for both sides and therefore
accepted invites on those maps and invited others on them. took me a couple of weeks
(maybe even months) to understand what first turn advantage is

ShindarKing

Trooper

5) building hovers in bases that are surrounded by mountains/forests. seen this one too many times.

General_Death

Tank

I've seen these a lot from rookies that I played unrated games for kicks:

6. Attacking in a stream.. some people don't even wait to build an army, they just send one unit at a time to its death.

7. Attacking without artillery

8. Weak defense lines, you need at least 1 straight line of full strength units at the front.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/12/2010 22:50:20

beetstreet

Heavy Trooper

9. i kept thinking that a trooper/hover would stick around after it captured a base (like in advance wars). it doesn't and i lost too many bases from a counter-capture because i didn't have any back-up.

10. not understanding zone of control movement; especially thinking a jet couldn't hit a unit behind a few other units only to see it fly into the zoc and then use it's second move to slip through and attack.

11. taking for granted the gang-up bonuses.

12. allowing a unit to survive at the end of a turn only to watch it retreat and slowly repair itself. a battleship repairing two health per turn is like having another base producing 400 credit per turn.

DodgerH2O

Trooper

13. Not paying attention to terrain modifiers to attack/defense. I understood the infantry modifiers quickly, but wondered why my tanks were getting slaughtered by them in forests.

Daithi

Raider

14) Building artillery in range of the enemy or not sufficiently defended.

15) Not capturing bases quickly at the start. Either by being too cautious or building tanks instead of capturing units.

I think this thread should be summarised as a wiki page.

ShindarKing

Trooper

16) joining games of very high rated players and not even trying to learn from their mistakes, or asking for help.

17) joining games on blue biased maps without checking the forums list of unfair maps or even reading the map description itself (i.e. Alupa's The Island, or the Alison's Higher Straits)

adayofjoy

Heavy Trooper

18. Dumping money on a single berserker in low-income maps the moment I could do so. Berserkers are possibly the worst unit in-game cost efficiency wise. They still have their uses in tight, close combat games (mostly as FFA intimidation though), but otherwise they are just underwhelming, both on paper and in practice.

19. (not really) Spelling Common as Comon :p

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/09/2013 19:14:55