Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 next

spadequack

Heavy Tank

If you don't know what I'm referring to, see this http://blog.weewar.com/ and join in on the awesomeness.

In my opinion, the new interface is pretty slick and well designed for an "alpha" version, which is what I've come to expect from Alex and Bert now. It is also very fast and responsive, at least so far, though I bet there have been only a couple users registered by now. We'll have to wait to see how well it scales with lots of concurrent actions.

The major downside to Flash however, is the inability to greasemonkey it. I hope they develop a thorough and open API though to allow users to do things like show game stats on the game page. I think that kind of in depth information about the game is currently only accessible through the Eliza (Bot) API.

tralafiti

Raider

well - the animations don't bring aditional value to the game. it seems that they are always the same and it's just annoying to click them away every time. i'm not quite happy with it yet. at leaste you should provide an option to auto-continue on the battle animation

the big plus of the flash version could be, that it runs smoother than the normal html+javascript based version - at least for now, maybe this changes whene there is more load on the test-server? but it should be much easy for a flash-version to do some nice optimization like querying up all you moves on the client and just send them to the server when you click finish round - no latency anymore *yeeaahh*

but your buying this with the loose of some awesome greasemonkey scripts :-/

the new build-menu is fine, since you don't need to scroll anymore

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/12/2009 12:14:52

RockyDog

Berserker

the purchase menu will be very busy once you have all the units on there (i'm in a trial game with zapp. will try a pro game later).

are our normal accounts not ported over to the test server? I used to have VT and RD accounts there.

also - the initial loading image to refresh the map at start and end of turn is slow. slow enough to be noticeable and annoying.

more on animations once i actually see some

edit: animations are interesting, the lack of a scroll bar to maneuver large maps is a negative. game play seems slower to accomodate all the new graphics.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/12/2009 14:21:50

spadequack

Heavy Tank

I would prefer an opt-out to the animations as well. They are nice, but not what I go for in the game.

The scroll bar exists, but is invisible until you hover over where you expect it to be, which is unintuitive. It would help a lot to be able to use the scroll wheel as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/12/2009 21:18:31

luckymustard

Raider

as i've been here with weewar for a very long time, i'm familiar with the test procedures. for a change this big they've wiped old test accounts. just create a new one.

now to my thoughts... i'm missing the cancel option.

like it otherwise. can see that the battle scene might get old, but i'm still getting a kick out of it. i wish i could see all the different scenes (based on terrain) that it would do. might this already be in the/a wiki, wherever it is... off to look now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/12/2009 21:22:19

JumpmanMJP

Heavy Trooper

So far on my Win XP machine at work, it feels faster, though it's hard to say how well it'll do under a heavy load once people really start hammering it. Crossing my fingers for my Linux box at home! Flash games usually play pretty well, but not as smoothly as on Windows.

I like some of the graphical aspects, but agree that most add nothing to the game except to a novice player. I do like the fact that, without a Greasemonkey script, the standard view lets the map expand to fill the whole area not taken by chat. Not sure why scrollbars are so thin; saving a few pixels on small screens is great, but the scrollbars are invisible until you hover over them, so you're not really saving anything by making them so skinny... makes for a harder target to grab quickly.

The only thing I'd term an actual "annoyance" with this new design is the mechanics of carrying out an attack. I like it quick: land next to a target, and double-click it to attack. This UI requires a click to attack, then move the mouse to click the "Yup, I really does wants to attacks" button. As often as attacks are carried out, the quicker the better!

mawif

Heavy Trooper

Oooooh, shiny.

First impressions, having played a couple of games against Zapp. Good stuff:

- The flash interface looks really slick, I really like it. And I normally hate Flash with a passion.

- Really like the little spider graphs, or whatever they're called, of unit strength against the different unit classes, that you get in the build menu and on hover.

- The flash interface is a big improvement over the new thin window layout that's currently in use on the main site.

- Full screen mode is awesome.

Problems:

- The biggest thing is that the flash interface sometimes doesn't respond to clicks. I've had this on two different computers - a laptop with touch pad and buttons, and desktop using a trackball. Doesn't seem to correlate to how long I leave between clicks, and doesn't seem to be to do with server lag - I've clicked, nothing has happened, and then I've touched nothing for a minute to see if it eventually responds. It didn't. This is quite annoying, and spoils what otherwise feels like much snappier response times.

Suggestions:

- With the flash interface, it seems pointless to reload the page at the end of each turn. The flash thing actually becomes responsive before the page reloads, but then it disappears and you have to wait for flash to load. That's a minor irritant in fast moving games. (I guess the reason it still reloads is to display "Your turn" in the title bar - is that alterable with javascript?)

- I would echo the sentiment already expressed several times that, while the battle animations are neat, it would be nice to be able to turn them off, ideally with a setting at the account level.

- Having half the control at the top of the page and half at the bottom is a little confusing. What would be neat would be to put the repair control on the map, so that you don't have to move the mouse very far to repair. e.g. the first time you click on a unit, you get shown the places it can move. The second time, the repair icon appears on the hex to the west of the unit, and the "do nothing" icon appears on the hex to the east. The third click deselects the unit. That would only leave two controls at the bottom (undo and fullscreen) and they could be moved to the top.

All in all though, I like. I'll break out my Linux laptop tomorrow or Monday and see how it performs there as well.

RockyDog

Berserker

I finished a game with Zapp, and played a few turns in other games.

The reload time with the 'weewar' logo and progress bar is too long. my game with zapp spent more time reloading than playing.

the animations are neat, but need to be an option.

double clicking to stay rather than attack seems to no longer be an option. bring that back please.

the location of the usual options is all in disarray. maybe i'll get used to the new ones, but the old ones seemed to be pretty naturally placed.

all in all, the new changes look all spiffy, but not sure i'm a fan of them.

Shulgin

Tank

actually all i have to say has already been said, but i suppose repeating a few things can't do any harm

overall looks & feel (especially look) is quite good. the signposts are helpful for newbies and these guys probably appreciate the animations as well. however, i also would like to see animations as an option. the devs are aware of this issue as bert's blog post shows:
Bert wrote: Posted December 19, 2009 at 21:58 | Permalink

We will further improve the ways battles are carried out in order to allow more advanced players to retain a quicker play style. I don’t know yet how this will be done but I can promise that we keep a close eye on the number of clicks.

like others i very much hope that api calls will still be possible and flash is not used to hide all the code. playing on the test server reminds me of how annoying it is to play without gm-scripts...but it's not only the fact that i have to count bases. i generally favour the concept of having an open system where users can contribute and modify something if they wish.

mawif wrote:All in all though, I like. I'll break out my Linux laptop tomorrow or Monday and see how it performs there as well.

unfortunately it doesn't perform very well (kde 4.2.4 - gnash) but that's not the developers fault...for a change

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/12/2009 02:28:11

Darkbee

Berserker

Bert said that they will definitely include an option to turn the animations off.

I like the new interface. The change of position of game elements is a bit confusing but I like the help in the pop-up windows rather than having an extra piece of real-estate to display helper information (this will be especially great for noobs).

Overall a good base to work from and refine.

JumpmanMJP

Heavy Trooper

After several rounds in 3 games, here's what I think needs to change:

1. Attack animation needs to be optional, or go away. Not being able to double-click to attack an opponent really interrupts the flow of things. Now it's click to attack, wait for little cartoon window, click the next attack button in that window, then either wait for the animation or click again to continue... agonizing!

2. Repair button, Undo, income and total credits are scattered to the four corners of the earth... what was wron with where they were? Now I have to think about which corner to go to (or look at) when it all used to be so nicely grouped in the upper-left.

3. I know you're looking for bug-related feedback , so I'll just report that attempting to click faster than the UI wants me to during an attack (to get through the animation) causes an error message that my client has gotten out of sync with the server and needs to be reloaded.

I do like the improved speed of building a unit now that the whole screen doesn't have to dim and there's no scrolling through the unit list! The other stuff, though... ugh. I hope it can be changed!

JumpmanMJP

Heavy Trooper

The "out of sync" error seems to happen mostly when I try to click too quickly through the attack animation. It happens pretty regularly when I do that.

JumpmanMJP

Heavy Trooper

The problem people are seeing with the occasional click not registering seems to be coming from the new scroll feature. If you click on any tile and drag, it will scroll the screen. I love the feature! It almost makes the ling, skinny scrollbars unnecessary. But I think it's what's causing the problem with some clicks not registering; if you're moving your mouse slightly during the click, it will register as an attempt at scrolling instead of a click.

Maybe drag-scrolling can be made to have a little less of a hair trigger to counteract this? It's not a big issue for me, but someone mentioned it earlier, and I've noticed it a little.

katakana

Raider

It occurs to me that if the devs want to have a flash interface, they should be able to allow us to have zoom in and out on the battlefield! That would be a nice feature for those larger maps.

RockyDog

Berserker

you can already zoom in out... ctrl+ or ctrl - will do it

previous 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 next